Abandoned Kubelwagen

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by paper warrior, Mar 11, 2007.

1. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Greetings all,
    I am currently planning a diorama in 1/72. I've got PTA's Kubel, with windows and the ragtop shot full of holes (.50 cal). Its in the desert stripe scheme. the left doors are open. Anyway, I'm looking for ideas. I was thinking about it stuck in a trench, but I don't think there were many in North Afrika.

Any ideas are welcome,
    Will
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

There were a number of fortress areas created before and during the North African campaign such as Tobruk, Bir Hakim, and others - these usually had trenches and weapon pits.

50 cal wasn't a common weapon calibre in North Africa until the US arrived - 0.303 would be more typical.

Regards,

Charlie
  3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i reaply only to move the spam nude massege to the end

we have some kids here

sorry for spaming
  4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

It's ok Yaniv, I've reported 'em. And Charlie, thanks for the pit idea. A fortress hunting I shall go.
  5. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

north african terrain hazards for the kubelwagen could also include include "wadis" or gulches which flooded during those rare periods of rain in the desert. another possibility would be for one to get high-centered on some escarpment track, though with the lightness of the vehicle, it should have been relatively easy to get out of this predicament. perhaps the most likely scenerio would be for the vehicle to be shot up while out of fuel....
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

.50 cal wouldn't have been that rare in North Africa, after all the Desert Airforce was using a few squadrons of Tomahawks in 41 and 42.
  7. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Sooo, .50cal holes + gultch. Any ideas as to how to make the wadi? I maybe able to utilize a sheet of cork paper.
  8. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Styrofoam!

The idea of a shot-up vehicle buried nose-down in a wadi with bits and pieces of kit strewn about is evocative. You can call it "Outta Luck" or something like that (I don't know the German equivalent) As you are working in 1:72 scale, the dio does not need to be too big (no wider than 3 x the width of the vehicle and 2 x its length). Make a sketch of what you want first. The vehicle should dominate the scene....

Next, get a wooden base, preferably oval, big enough to accommodate your scene. (You can usually find these at Michaels or other places.)

Third:Get some stryrofoam insulation or packaging material (Thickness immaterial) and laminate up a base, including your wadi. You can use white glue for the foam: nothing fancy needed. Then sculpt/paint/ground-cover the whole thing. (I am planning to do a tutorial in 1:35 called "Fun in the 'Stan" for later this Spring).

Here is a link to a tutorial from the National Model RR Assoc.

http://www.nmra.org/beginner/foam.html

This will give you some ideas for starters. Check back here with me and I'll give you a hand!
    Jim
  9. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i prefer to use paper-mache. build up the edges of your base and put the wadi diagonally across the middle. you can also use a square base edged with frame trim or moulding. researching some of the terrain is a good idea, then sketch it out. texture to the paper-mache surface can be added with wood putty and a few random stones. to color the terrain, i'd use a coat of water base paint (slightly darker on the sides of the wadi). then coat the painted surface with polyester resin. while this is still wet and sticky, sprinke on some sand and lightly brush off the excess once it has set. don't use polyester resin on styrofoam, it eats it away. most forms of epoxy are safe with styrofoam but i haven't tried it to coat any terrain...
  10. charliec

charliec Active Member

Quite right - I was thinking about ground equipment. I should have remembered the Tomahawk/Kittyhawk since there's a restored, flying one based just North of Brisbane.

Regards,

Charlie
  11. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I have it sketched out, thanks for the help everyone. Work starts tonight.
  12. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Mache is certainly a lot easier to use than foam! Thanks for the tip, Nebeltex!

Also, sand can be simulated with fine light-coloured sawdust....

This dio stuff is lots of fun!!
    Jim
  13. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Thanks Jim, I've been trying to figure how to simulate sand for a looong time.

EDIT: Obiously stupid error somewhat fixed.
  14. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

You meant "simulate sand" of course? :)

Jim
  15. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

16. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

At my age,I have a lot of moments like that! :)
    Lookin' forward to seeing the final product! Even better, some "work in prgress" (WIP) shots!
    Jim
  17. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

This might take a while, I've got 3 projects (designing), I'm moving soon, AIMS is coming up, AND I'm flooded in work.