A9/A10 Nuclear ICBM--Hitler's Ultraweapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
rocketmantan.deviantart.com
Well guys, I'm back, and I have just started on a new model kit! I'm pretty sure that most Luft '46 fans know of the A9/A10 rocket, and for those who don't know, I'll tell you its grisly story.
By late 1944, the Third Reich was beginning to crumble. All hope of winning the war was beginning to fade. However, Hitler had one asset left: his clever scientists--particularly, Dr. Wernher von Braun. von Braun had already become one of Hitler's favorites after developing the V2 rocket, capable of hitting London. Hitler was desperate for some sort of vehicle that could hit America in one shot with an atomic bomb, and soon various scientsts were competing for the contract. von Braun's concept, if built, could have achieved his dream of sending a man into space. Unfortunately, its ultimate goal was to be used as a war machine that would bring untold death and destruction.

Two variants of the rocket were planned: a manned version, and an unmanned version. The space coffin that would have been the manned rocket was, well, a kamikaze missile. The unmanned version would have had to be guided by a rather elaborate string of transponders, with the final one being placed by a spy at the top floor of a highrise building in lower manhattan.

So far, I have completed the booster stage of the rocket. I will add more photos and updates as the build progresses.

Attachments

• Picture 153.jpg
    Picture 153.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 412
  • Picture 154.jpg
    Picture 154.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Picture 155.jpg
    Picture 155.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 395

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
Beta model complete

Well, the "prototype" model is complete, and I have attached photos of the cover and what parts I have so far. I'll be posting my build photos in a bit.

Attachments

• Picture 156.jpg
    Picture 156.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 366
  • Picture 157.jpg
    Picture 157.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 365
  • Picture 158.jpg
    Picture 158.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 363
  • Picture 161.jpg
    Picture 161.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 367

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
Test build

The model turned out better than I had expected!! the fuselage parts fitted together perfectly, , and the A9 rocket is beautiful. The only slight problem is with the slot for the A9. If you look at the photos, the A9 isn't fit in tight within the booster rocket, though I'm sure that with some tweaking, it'll be alright.

I'll post the model to the download section as soon as I have finished working out the bugs in the model.

Attachments

• Picture 163.jpg
    Picture 163.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 363
  • Picture 164.jpg
    Picture 164.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Picture 165.jpg
    Picture 165.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 358
  • Picture 166.jpg
    Picture 166.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 167.jpg
    Picture 167.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Picture 168.jpg
    Picture 168.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 363

Grif

Sep 30, 2010
Hi, RocketmanTan!
I've downloaded your A9/A10 from Jon Leslie's site, and I'd like to ask you: firstly, there don't seem to be any tabs to glue the pieces together with - this may be just my inexperience with card modelling; should I make these myself? Secondly, the piece at the top of the A10 where the A9 slots in - what holds the four pieces around the tail of the A9 together? Thirdly, I've noticed that you've modelled the "straight tapered wing" version of the A9 - will you be doing the "swept wing" and "dart wing" versions too? Scott Lowther, who did an article on these "variant V2s", said that the "straight tapered wing" version would have been the most likely to have worked...
By the way, I subscribe to "The Rocketry Forum" too, and someone did a flying version of the A9/A10, with the A9 in the same livery as the Bell X1 (with "Glamourous Glennis" on the nose!) and the A10 in "post-war V2" yellow and black, as a sort of "Wernher von Braun meets Chuck Yeager" alternate history model, and called the thread "Got a stick o'Beamans, Doctor von Braun?"(!) I met an old British test pilot who had known both men, and he said, when I told him this, "Those two would have been like oil and water!"
Grif Ingram

Grif

Sep 30, 2010
Sure, it's a site with a number of card models for download, many of them real or projected space subjects. Is it OK to give the URLs of other card modelling sites on this board? If so, I'll post the link.
Grif

Grif

Sep 30, 2010
Oh, by the way, is it OK for me to link to a commercial site on here? It's just because this is a good pic of the A9/A10/A11 - I'm not advertising Anigrand! I'm just trying to err on the side of caution, protocol-wise!
Grif

E

ekuth

A direct link to the pic would be acceptable, yes. Provided it is for the purpose of information and not advertising. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.