A4 cardstock in the US...

SCEtoAux

Buy some legal size and trim it to A4 size. The left over parts can be used for other parts, internal braces, or just recycled.:)
Some run the legal size through the printer and tell the printer it is A4 size. If you want to print on both sides and need the graphics on each side to line up you will need to trim the cardstock to A4 size because of the margins.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, it is possible to use legal size paper instead of A-4. However there are some designers who like to cram as many parts as possible onto a page. Since A-4 size paper is slightly longer and slightly narrower than legal size paper, there is a chance that you will lose parts of a few parts.

Here is an article that talks about the size difference: https://www.papersizes.org/a4-foolscap-letter.htm

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A few years a fellow member opened my eyes regarding the different paper sizes. It is unfortunate that A4 paper is somewhat difficult to get in the US as is letter size paper in the EU. In order to overcome this dilemma and to ensure that all parts are printed properly I chose to start my layout on a letter size canvas. This gives me enough white space on the top and bottom. Then I switch to an A4 canvas which shows me if I have enough white space on the left and right. If necessary I re-arrange the parts and move them towards the center of the page. In the end everything can be printed on both paper sizes without running into trouble. Of course, sometimes the re-arrangement requires an extra page but this is a small price to pay since it saves me to publish two different files containing the same parts. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think 11" x 8.5" should be the standard. Printed with enough resolution, it could be scaled up to whatever paper size you want. I have purchased Legal Size and just tell my computer it's something else. Also, designers could easily overcome this by printing large enough borders to negate the problem. The left over stock can always be used.IMHO. :)

SCEtoAux

A4 is not longer than legal size. Legal size paper is both wider and longer than A4 size paper.
Legal size is 8.5 inches x 14 inches or 216 mm x 356 mm.
A4 size is 8.27 inches x 11.69 inches or 210 mm x 297 mm.

Since legal size paper is in fact wider and longer than A4 you can trim both the width and length of a legal size to get an A4 size.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
A4 is not longer than legal size. Legal size paper is both wider and longer than A4 size paper.
Legal size is 8.5 inches x 14 inches or 216 mm x 356 mm.
A4 size is 8.27 inches x 11.69 inches or 210 mm x 297 mm.

Since legal size paper is in fact wider and longer than A4 you can trim both the width and length of a legal size to get an A4 size.

Yup, I just throw it in the printer and tell the printer the Legal Paper is A4. I never print both sides, so that is a non issue for me. ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I use Legal size for most everything...and on my printer, I don't need to trim to print both sides goes in the same way as the first side, without the flip and spin of other printers ( which I usually screwed up anyway!)
I do wish that they would standardize paper and card!!!!!!! Like in this one you posted 80lb 216 gsm! and I use 110lb 199gsm ??? notice the 80lb vs. 110lb WTF!! I know it is Cover vs. Index but jesh how about consistency Paper Companys!! OK end of rant!! Thanks for the link...