a working steel mill

steel man

hello everyone
Im new here and i have be thinking about building a working steel mill in ho. no trees, no pretty stuff just a dirty steel mill lol.
I'm starting to build a blast furness now , one of three, and will need help as i go along with wiring and building it.
It will have light's and sounds and boy did i pick a project lol.
the first problem i have is i cant find any ho blast furness people for it , need 21 of them.
If anyone can help please let me know. thank's

F

Fred_M

Wow, this I got to see in person. Let me know when you are ready to fire up your furnace and reduce your first load. :D You will prob. have to get undecorated people and paint and dress them, I've never seen any anywhere for sale. FRED

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Welcome to the-gauge Mr. Steel!

You may find some acceptable figures by searching Walthers:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search...=&keywords=&instock=Q&split=300&Submit=Search

If you go un painted as dash suggests, you might try the Preiser "Tradespeople" set:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-16326

maybe truckers and cab drivers:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-16335

You could go to their advanced search and select HO, Figures and keywords such as factory, workers, construction, etc.

Unpainted figures are a bargain, and you can actually acheive much better results than ready painted figures. We have the technology, we can rebuild him, I mean we can help you :D :D :D

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by MasonJar

For 6 million bucks, you better be #$%^ sure that he is already painted! :D

Andrew
Back then 6 million bucks was a bunch of money, today it's a meal for 5 at Red Lobster. If they remade the show today it would be the 6 trillion dollar man. Now days Steve Austin is a bad ass beer guzzling ex-wrestler sheriff on WWE;) I remeber from my dad's days at the mill that they wore dirty work clothes unless they worked the furnace. There they wore asbestos suites/helmets. But most of them wore green or blue work pants, long sleeve work shirts, and bill hats. FRED

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Steelman, and welcome to the gauge. When you get this project on the go, please post a photo or two.
Shamus

F

Fred_M

Re: a ton of work ahead lol

Originally posted by steel man
i saw your setup and i like the night one. look's real
Oh thank you. That's the ultimate praise one can make of anothers layout, "it looks real":D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D You are now my best friend. I also gave some thought to your men. There is a guy named Earl Smallshaw? who makes clothes for HO plastic men out of painted Al foil. Just leave off the paint. FRED

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I recall the big fold out add in MR a few years ago when Walthers released its "The Works" steel mill series. It included steel workers, even some dressed in silver asbeostos suits! You'd think some would still be available. (?) Looking forward to seeing updates on what sounds like a great project!!!!
Ralph

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge...a working steel mill, eh? Gonna need brass locos and cars cuz the plastic ones can't take the heat...gotta grease the palms of the local politicos to get things roling...then there's the Union headaches, man those LPBs can be demanding...and the EPA, 'course the permits alone'll set you back a couple a hundred thou...that's if you get past the Greenies who no doubt will be chaining themselves to your layout trying to save those LP spotted owls and such...you might just want to settle for some nice, sedate waterfront scene or somethin'...:thumb: :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
Hello Steelman .
For some true inspiration , check out the steel mill scenes from
1) Jeff Borne

2) Mike Rabbitt

3)Ken Larsen

4) Bob Oneal

They should pop up on Google . I've started my mill but am a long way off.

Cobra

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Welcome to The Gauge Steel Man!

Original post from Ralph It included steel workers, even some dressed in silver asbeostos suits!

Someone better tell them little people about asbeostos. Wait till the little lawyer downtown gets a whiff of that. LOL

I'm back after a LONG time away from the forum. It's good to be back. :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here's a Preiser figure that I converted to a foundry worker. He was wearing a helmet to start with and I made the mask out of one of those grey "Kneaded Erasers" - they're available at art supply stores. You can pull them apart, stretch 'em etc.

Val

Attachments

• steelguy.jpg
    steelguy.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 69

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Another shot - this is the real thing.

BTW, I have been collecting steel mill photo's for awhile now. I have ladles, smelters, BOF's, besemer thingies etc. If you need some reference, let me know.

Val

Attachments

• foundry.jpg
    foundry.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 67

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by PennRailRoads
Welcome to The Gauge Steel Man!

Original post from Ralph It included steel workers, even some dressed in silver asbeostos suits!

Someone better tell them little people about asbeostos. Wait till the little lawyer downtown gets a whiff of that. LOL

I'm back after a LONG time away from the forum. It's good to be back. :D

Welcome home PRR!!!

Hopefully he's modeling before they discovered the risks of asbestos. Like I always say, "We didn't know about safety back then, so no one got hurt" :D :D :D What ever you do, don't let 'em know about unions!

Val, that poor LPB is gunna sufficate!