A week in Vancouver with a Mate

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
I will be leaving T O on Labour day for a 30 year reunion with my best and long time friend Charlie.

30 years, Charlie and myself with another friend Ken, left the UK for a 3 week vacation on a job finding mission for Charlie in Vancouver.
We had a blast.
So Chas and I will have lots of places to go including breakfast at the downtown Vancouver YMCA where we stayed 30 years ago.

WE will be visiting the restored Interurban line and Musuem

Anyone have suggestions for for a good hobby shop and places to go?
Cheers. :cool:

CN1

May 6, 2003
Have a great time, and if you come to cowtown, let me know

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Try Van Hobbies or Pacific Scale rail. I haven't been to either in a couple years but they were both fairly good hobby shops when I was there last. You can also take a ride on the west coast express commuter train. My friend commutes on this on from maple ridge to downtown Vancouver every day.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Glen Haasdyk said:
Try Van Hobbies or Pacific Scale rail. I haven't been to either in a couple years but they were both fairly good hobby shops when I was there last. You can also take a ride on the west coast express commuter train. My friend commutes on this on from maple ridge to downtown Vancouver every day.

Thanks Glenn, My friend works for the BC Transit, so we will be getting around on that for a few days. :thumb:

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Was up riding horses this weekend, got too hot sat. aft so went to the museum, spent nearly 3 hours there, something to see. tried to tease you with a few pics, too 3 rolls of 24's and got about 40 digital ones( tried to post a couple as a teaser but keeps saying too large to send) tried to send them as a private message but could not find a spot to attach them to, and did not give an e mail address for you. Will have to sit down and work with them to downsize them to send, also want to post them on this site. How long are you in Vanc area for?? There are about 4 good hobby shops around as others have mentioned. Keep us posted, as time gets closer will see what else there is to do for you..Ron..
There are a couple of clubs around, don't know yet as when they are open.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
farmer ron said:
Was up riding horses this weekend, got too hot sat. aft so went to the museum, spent nearly 3 hours there, something to see. tried to tease you with a few pics, too 3 rolls of 24's and got about 40 digital ones( tried to post a couple as a teaser but keeps saying too large to send) tried to send them as a private message but could not find a spot to attach them to, and did not give an e mail address for you. Will have to sit down and work with them to downsize them to send, also want to post them on this site. How long are you in Vanc area for?? There are about 4 good hobby shops around as others have mentioned. Keep us posted, as time gets closer will see what else there is to do for you..Ron..
There are a couple of clubs around, don't know yet as when they are open.

Thanks Ron.
I will email you me addy and I will down size them for you.

We will be roaming around from 6th to the 9th in Vancouver then may slip over to Seattle on the week end home on the 13th Tuesday.

Tip, I d/s them 638 by 478.
try that ron first

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Post card from Vancouver

Hi Folks,
Arrived in Vancouver Labour Day 1 40 pm, the flight allthough short on room was great as I had a window seat it gave me a chance to shoot a few Rockie scene`s as we flew over Alberta and British Colombia.

Chas and I had a full day in Van and did the Granville model museum it was really well done.

Found the Interurban refurbished line , but sad to say it only operates 3 hrs on Saturday and Sunday, as we have other plans for the weekend I doubt if I will get a chance to ride it.

Thats it for now, as an other day starts hehe.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Hi Chris, welcome to the west coast, lots to do and see as your friend will show you, don't forget about the RR museum in Squamish (thats the real ones) even if you have time to drive up and look around from the parking lot, it is well worth the visit. Several hobby shops to visit, of course careful about buying anything, taking it to the US and bringing it back, you may have a hastle. When you buy stuff ( notice I said when not if ) just mail it back home. There are four that I can think of off the top of my head: Creative Hobbies, Pacific Scale Rail are in New Westminster ( infact around the corner from each other), Van Hobbies - in the south part of Vanc. think off Marine Drive, and Central Hobbies off Grandview Hwy. Enjoy your stay and visit... Ron..

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow - sounds like fun Chris. Too bad you just missed Alex (Arlaghan) - he was up there for 2 weeks.

You've got to try to get to the RR and Ship Museum on Granville Island. The first floor is occupied by some exquisite ship models, in various scales, and the 2nd floor has an HO model RR layout with floor to ceiling mountains. They also have a tinplate collection. It's a real must-see IMO.

Val

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Don't forget the train ride in Stanly Park Zoo. If you happen to go to Victoria, a must see is Miniature World in the basement of the Empress Hotel. Some world class model trains there. Especially the Circus train and layout!!!! ;)

TrainClown :)