A Walthers modulars building flat

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I decided to try some of the Walthers modulars and just to get a feel for them I decided to keep the structure simple. I needed a long, low building behind the yard, so that's what I made.

These parts are very easy to work with - a lot more so than the DPM modulars, and have the trademark Walthers perfect fit. The only thing I didn't like is that you have to buy the pilasters that connect the walls as a separate kit, but you do get cornices with them. This structure was made out of 3 kits - large walls, small walls, pilaster/cornices.

Once it was together, the real fun begins. I created the mortar lines with spackle, which I scrape off immediately after applying, and it stays in the grooves between the bricks.

Then I added some electrical conduit and junction boxes. I used brass wire for the pipes and E-Z line for the wiring. If you look closely you can see some stacked cardboard boxes against the windows on the first floor. That's the only interior detailing I plan to do.

Val

Attachments

• long.jpg
    long.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 60
  • detail1.jpg
    detail1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 58
  • detail2.jpg
    detail2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 54

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, Jim the fire inspector came today and told me that I need a fire escape for the building. I tried to tell him that it was around the side, but he wasn't buying it. So, I've added one. I kind of like this shot because the perspective looking up like that makes the whole thing look a little more real, especially with a Photoshop sky. :)

Val

Attachments

• building.jpg
    building.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 54

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow... again! Looks great. I love that wire(?) that sort of loops along the building. It's little details like that that really make a scene come to life...

You need to get your work/layout into print!

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That is absolutely fantastic Val. I've got to look into that. I've got a couple of DPM's, but I'm not that impressed and never finished them. On the Walther's, are the windows separate or are they molded into the sidewalls?

I really like the extra touches you've put on.:thumb::thumb:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
A neat but necessary structure Val. Your last photo shows it off well. That container in front of it next to the cars looks right at home too. I like your additions like the conduits . The simple interior makes it look like a well used facility. Nice modelling.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the kind comments everyone! :)

Don, the windows are separate pieces, and come with rigid plastic "glass". They fit into slots on the backs of the walls. The pictures lead one to believe that the walls are 2 storeys tall - they are actually only one. The difference between the large and small walls is that the large walls are 4 windows wide, and the small ones are 2 windows wide. Doors are only provided with the small windows kit.

Val

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks Val, I'm going to look into those, and I hope they're available in N scale, since I'm going to expand my layout and have a great spot for some. I really dislike any model that has the windows molded with the walls, Bachmann is one that I can think of, DPM is another. It's hard enough to detail an N scale building as it is without having to paint the windows and frames while they're still attached to the walls.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
WOW!
That is a fantastic piece of modeling, Val!
I love the detailing, especially the wiring running along the walls!
Excellent job!
:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Val, what can I add to all the accolades other than say that I am going to pull up some of the buildings we have on our layout and try to add some of the detailing work that you have shown us all. :thumb: Your last shot is really great from a perspective as well as realism viepoint. :)

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
ezdays said:
I really dislike any model that has the windows molded with the walls.

Some of the Walther kits I've built present somewhat the same problem in that the mullions are cast into the window "glass". I had a friend with a vinyl cutter so laid out the window pattern(s) to cut vinyl masks for the individual panes. Short of access to a vinyl cutter, I think you could do the same with masking tape cut on a glass plate.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Jerry I think that must be their older stuff. I know the Cornerstone Car Shop, which I picked up used, has those kind of windows. I am going to have to strip off the paint from the windows and re-do them, but had thought to use liquid frisket. Another idea I had was to use an ink roller and just go over the surface.

I admire your patience, applying all those little masks!!!

Val