A visiting photographer...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
My good friend cn nutbar dropped-by last night for a visit and to shoot a some pictures. Here are a few shots, taken mostly by him.
This locomotive was left with me previously for a small repair. While I did get the repair done, along with a general lube of the loco, we found that it didn't run very well. (I had done only a very short test run to make sure that the recent repair was okay - I shoulda known better!!):v8: Nevertheless, we caught a few shots of it around the layout. Here she is in South Cayuga:
6060w_008.jpg

And, after a stuttering run around the layout, passing through Lowbanks:
6060w_012.jpg

Here she is exiting the tunnel from Elfrida, and rolling out onto the Speed River bridge:
6060w_025.jpg

In a seldom-seen view (because of the unfinished scenery :eek:ops: ) she climbs the northbound grade towards Park Head, crossing over the area seen in the previous photo:
6060w_053.jpg

In this shot, taken from farther up the northbound track, she's just about back onto terra firma:
6060w_066.jpg

And a final look from a vantage point high over the valley, about a half-mile farther up the looping track:
6060w_058.jpg

The visiting photographer also caught Grand Valley Mogul 34 leaving Lowbanks with a short train:
6060w_001.jpg

And later, rolling across the Chippawa Creek bridge:
6060w_004.jpg

And, as a parting shot, EG&E wreck derrick 160, parked near the downtown Dunnville industrial district.
6060w_007.jpg

After the visit, I checked over the 6060, and traced the problem to dirty contact points where the trucks were fastened to the tender. Because of the safety chains installed between the truck sideframes and the tender, it wasn't possible to completely remove the trucks, but I did manage to get enough clearance to be able to use some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove the oxidation from the contact points. She now runs as smoothly as her prototype.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NICE "Mountain"(4-8-2) nutbar!!!:thumb::thumb: FANTASTIC JOB on the work done to it Wayne:winki: , it looks AWESOME!:thumb: I am TOTALLY drooling over the tender:thumb: . GREAT looking Mogul and surroundings its in Wayne:thumb::thumb::thumb: . :deano: -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks guys, from both Mister Nutbar and me, too. He sent me another photo from the same session, which I suggested he add in here, but since he hasn't, I'll take that liberty. A lot of the shots were taken with the camera sitting on the layout and looking out towards the aisle. Pictures 4, 5, and 6 in the first post were done this way, as was the picture below. You wouldn't waste the film and developing costs on these type of shots if you were using a film camera, as you can't look through the camera to compose the picture. This one took a couple of tries, and I believe it may have been cropped later by nutbar, but it offers a view that can't be seen by any viewer in the layout room. I took the sixth picture, above, standing on a step-stool, to be able to see over the scenery, another "novel" view.
6060w_0511.jpg

Wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello all---thanks doc for posting this thread---works been a drag lately and i haven't had the time to do the things i enjoy the most,such as viewing and posting photos on the gauge---anyway,here's a few more shots from a recent and therapeutic session at the docs---these photo sessions are just what i needed to forget all the aggrevation and relax---thanks again doc

6060w054.jpg

6060w019.jpg

6060w051.jpg

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Absolutely Gorgeous...!! The locos, the paint jobs, the settings....WOW...!!! Fantastic...!!! :thumb:

Now that you mentioned the chains on the tender trucks....what was their purpose..?? My little 0-8-0 has them, but I haven't figured out what they're for....:confused:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!

Those are some AWESOME locos and I LOVE THE SETTING TO!!!!!

THAT BRIDGE SCENE LOOKS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC AND AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello all---on behalf of doc and myself,thanks for all the compliments.i also like the bridge scenes from doctor wayne's fabulous layout---to be honest,i hesitated posting any of these shots due to the unfinished scenery,but with doc's permission and encouragement here's the results.during the latest session,we tried a different approach with the camera position and i think the results look pretty good---i'm including another shot from a previous photo shoot---hope you enjoy
gus---i think the chains were attached to the tender trucks in case of derailments,that way,the trucks wouldn't continue rolling and cause more damage(that's my theory ????)

21062006026.jpg

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I am completely blown away!....the engines.....the bridgework.....the picture angles...BEAUTIFUL.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

the two bridges crossing each other and a lower vehicular road with mountains and all....adds up to another awesome "money shot" on a layout already filled with them!

GREAT GREAT WORK!

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
Dear CN Nutbar
You are absolutely right about the tender chains, you will also find them on the trucks of passenger coaches.

And it is about time I said a special thanks to DR Wayne as I have really enjoyed looking at his modeling and layout.
Thanks to both of you for sharing these wonderful photos. It really is an inspiration to me.
Charlie

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks to you too, Charlie, and also to anyone else who takes the time to look at the various photos of my layout. For anyone who's been on vacation on the far side of the moon, here's a link to a thread full of links to some of my earlier photo threads:
A fresh update...

Wayne