A Visit to "Traction in Action"

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Tonight I paid a visit to the weekly Traction in Action layout improvement night as the guest of Chris "Interurban", Ernie and Brian at Brian's new house.

I met Chris at his place and off we went for Chinese dinner - delicious!!! My fortune cookie didn't say anything about being put to work cleaning track though!!!!

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 167
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 163
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 166

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
The layout features all traction running under the wires, with both pantographs and a new line that will have interurbans running poles. The guys are always improving the layout, and here is a brand new scene depicting a swimming pool at the local park.

Thanks to Chris for taking these photo's. Unfortunately, I was slaving away with the brightboy and had no time for such frivolity!!!sign1 sign1

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 174
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 180

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Val, even though you was put to work,sign1 the look on your face says you had a good time:thumb: . the layout looks NICE!:thumb: :D -Deano

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
:D And a great job you did Val, Now I knew you were pining to get at it,, as your Layout is in planning mode.
So putting all that pent up energy to work was to our advantage sign1

Always a pleasure to meet up with you Val, thanks for fighting all that traffic in rush hour to make the trip:thumb:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
It looks like you had a good time together. And it's a beautiful layout, too!

Chris said: And a great job you did Val...
Val, I am glad you obviously are more skillful than I am. Some time back I jeopardized a friendship when I attempted the same (cleaning track with catenary strung above). Well, I managed to tear down almost a meter of that overhead line, because the wristband of my watch snagged somewhere on these @#%&&!:curse: wires... :eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops:
My friend told me in no uncertain terms that in the future I should keep my clumsy ham-fisted hands off his layout. At last he calmed down a bit and we restored our friendship some days later when I assisted in repairing the damage. :thumb:

Chris, now you'll understand why I'm following Colorado prototype - no catenary around anywhere! :D:D:D (When building a Swiss layout there would be no way around stringing wires above the rails! That's why I stay with American prototypes.)

Ron

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Inspiring indeed! Hopefully once I get situated in the new basement (crosses fingers) I will be able to install some poles--a problem with working on the layout where I am now is lack of room to work on things!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Val,

How do they get anything done when you are not there...? Is this how they treat all their "guests"! :eek: ;) :D sign1

Looks like a lot of fun though... That "Traction in Action" layout is something to see. I spoke briefly with Chris when he brought it to Railfair at Ottawa's Algonquin College a few years back.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice looking layout, it's hard to believe that it's also portable. Val, is this the model railroader's version of having to "sing for your supper"? :rolleyes: (I would've gone hungry: I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and I don't have much track cleaning experience either.):thumb:

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Nice pics. I have a question about traction modeling. Seeing you clean the track reminded me, how do they keet the overhead wire clean? I would think it might be too delicate to scrub with a brite boy.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
Nice pics. I have a question about traction modeling. Seeing you clean the track reminded me, how do they keet the overhead wire clean? I would think it might be too delicate to scrub with a brite boy.

Good Question Russ:)

We use clipper oil on a cloth and pull it gently while wrapped around the wire, the tight spots we wipe underneath
WE use the same stuff to clean the track..