A Varney 4-6-0

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
This is a Varney Casey Jones I am rebuilding.
I've added a can motor, regeared it and added extra electrical pickups.
That was going to be the extent of the modifications (besides painting it) until I saw a photo of South Simcoe's #1057.
I noticed it was similar to the Varney model and had a rather unique valve gear.
The valve gear is mostly built from scratch.
I made classification lights from 2 .090" cubes of clear styrene, drilled dimples to insert colored lenses in, drilled a .045" hole in the bottoms and inserted a 1/4" piece of clear styrene rods into them. The rods insert into the boiler far enough to pick up light from the light bulb in the smoke box.
After they are painted black I will re drill the dimples to remove paint and clue in the lenses.
A KD #5 coupler in a extensively modified 30 series draft gear was fit into the filed out pilot opening.

Attachments

• Jan05_12.JPG
    Jan05_12.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Jan05_07.JPG
    Jan05_07.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Jan05_05.JPG
    Jan05_05.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Jan05_09.JPG
    Jan05_09.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Jan05_10.JPG
    Jan05_10.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 119

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Ray, from looking at some diagrams in an old Trains article on valve gear, that loco appears to have indirect Walschaert valve gear, with the loco being an inside admission type and the eccentric crank leading the main crankpin. But, that's just my semi-edu-macated opinion.:rolleyes: :D :D
Nice work on the rebuild. :thumb: Your class lights remind me of the ones on my John English Pacific: they appear to have a black, hard plastic casing where the metal parts would be on the prototype, but the core is made of either Lexan or Plexiglass, with a long stem for mounting, which also extends into the smokebox (side-mount style) and transmits light from the headlight bulb. I have no idea who made them, although the appearance is very "scale". My Dad bought the loco, used, in the mid-to-late '50's, but I don't recall if he added them or if they were already on the loco. I think I may have another pair of them laying around here somewhere, too.

Wayne

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks Glen.
I use Floquil engine black.
After the decals are installed I spray it with Testors dullcoat.
Then a little weathering with a custom mix ( mostly thinner from cleaning the airbrush).
I have a few jars that I custom mix from different colors as I glean the airbrush.