a union pacific in philly

whats a up dash-8 doing in philly saw it this morning in the rail yard in south philly was working so I didn't have a camera damm would have made a good pic had a eash up of three NS belind it :eek: rich

BDC

UP probably owed NS some power hours, or NS was borrowing some from UP. Could be that this what you saw is a result of a UP run-through train that crossed into NS territory. NS is "returning" the locos to UP, but getting some free Horsepower while doing so!

Tyson Rayles

Probably been bought by NS and not repainted yet. I was down in Cocoa, Fla. (east coast, central part of Fla.) and watched a FEC train go by being pulled by an FEC & UP.

Vic

I think they call it "pool power"....we see them most every day here in my part of Georgia and the only line in and out of here is the Norfolk Southern

well I've seen cp,cn,conrail,csx,ns,up,and couple I never even heard off its a same the only view of the yard is from the highway would make great railfan site:D rich

Pooh Bah
There was a report somewhere that a certain railroad has two weeks to move locomotives from Erie to Chicago for UP. Apparently, the route has been known to go via Massachussetts.
(details may be hazy)

I saw a Santa Fe loco in Brampton once. I was told that GM DD in London didn't have capacity and they were being sent East somewhere for painting.

thats was the up just stting there buy its self the NS on the next track belind it and the yersterday in CT> I saw a genesis in new haven colors:confused: didn;t they go under:eek: rich

Hoghead

UP power is quite common, I have had a few trains in the past from North Jersey that had UP power, these units usually come down the CSX River line via Selkirk from points west. Anyone who is a railfan from around Albany will tell you that BNSF and UP engines are a common sight at the Selkirk engine facility.

pierce

Here in alabama iv seen up, sp, conrail, ns,and one bnsf. Rich the Newhaven did go under but ct transit authority paints there locos in fallen flags paintschemcs i think.
Pierce

mojo

I've seen the UP SD40-2s with the FEC trains in Florida. FEC kept and changed logos on about 21 SD40-2s. Tim

Peirce

Rich,
The Genesis you saw in NH colors is owned by the state of Connecticut and operated by Metro North. CT owns a few of these, now, along with a few FL9s and some coaches. (The coaches on orange stripe belong to CT.) The NH paint scheme is to honor the heritage of that gone, but not forgotten railroad.