A tree is "built",,"planted?",, "started?"

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by sumpter250, Dec 6, 2002.

1. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I don't have a timer on the digital, so can't set up to photo while I'm working, so;
    After gathering natural materials, which bear a reasonable facimile to a tree, I added branches to what I had chosen as the basic "trunk". This tree is being built in O scale for the On30 diorama (see G/O/S scale: The On30 Conspiracy, page 4, and 5), it is about 64 scale feet tall, and the trunk is about 10 scale inches in diameter at the base.
    The next step is to apply Woodland Scenics Polyfiber. The process here, will be to take small amounts of polyfiber, and expand them, to create the finer branch structure. For a tree of this size, I'm estimating about five hours of work. I'll shoot a couple of pics as this progresses, and one of the completed branches.
    Once satisfied with the branch structure, I'll procede with applying leaves.

Attached Files:

2. sumpter250

Here, some of the expanded, Woodland Scenics polyfiber, has been applied to the "armature".

Attached Files:

3. sumpter250

At the end of the second hour.......... if you "water" it, it will grow.
    As each bit of polyfiber is added to the tree, it is further expanded, and shaped in place.

Attached Files:

4. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

The "break-in" solution in back of the tree is a major necessity for all tree builder wanna-be's. It lets you see your work more clearly:D :D :D

Neat tutorial Pete. I am watching the whole thing.:) :)
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Fantastic looking tree, Pete! :cool:
    I know what kind of patience that requires!

(& it looks like you've got a little "patience in a bottle" there, huh?
    Kinda puts a new definition to "bourbon & branch", don't it? :D)

btw, Pete, if you're up for still another recommendation on some good Ky "shine", allow me to introduce my "patience" for this evening's track laying session...Woodford Reserve, 90 proof straight bourbon.
    It's made by Labrot & Graham, in Versailles (& 'round these parts, that's pronounced ver-SALES, not ver-SI:D :rolleyes: :D )
    Having been around since 1812, they have the honor of being the oldest operating distillery in N. America!

Attached Files:

6. sumpter250

Charlie,
    Yeah, I'm up for another Ky "shine", still recommendation!:D :D
    I'll keep it in mind, but it will be a while yet before the Knob Creek is gone.
  7. davidstrains

uuuummmmm I guess the 2 hour mark is the "planted" stage of tree building:D :D :D :D

Do we dare ask how much farther you got on either the tree or the Knob Creek:D :D or both???:) :) :)

Fine looking tree though. Looking forward to the "grand finish".:) :)
  8. sumpter250

At the end of the second hour.........I needed an attitude adjustment break (hic) so. Next day, another hour, and the branch structure is done. The next step is adding the leaves. This is done, by spraying the tree with Testors GLOSSCOTE (yes,gloss),and then sifting Woodland Scenics coarse turf over the wet tree. The Glosscote is sticky enough to hold the fine particles, and doesn't "milk" up with multiple coats. This tree will take about five applications of glosscote and turf, and a final overspray of glosscote.

Attached Files:

9. sumpter250

Yeah David, two hours at the "plant" and it's quittin' time. ;) ;) :D :D :D
  10. sumpter250

OK. It took about a half hour to apply the leaves. The whole tree took close to three, and a half hours to get the fine branches and leaves done. With about two hours assembly time of the basic "armature", the tree took about five and a half hours to build.
    While O scale is "twice" HO, it is 8 times the volume, and consumed a large amount of polyfiber, and coarse turf. (and a lot more time too !!):D The picture shows the finished tree.
    For my next magic trick, I'll get a rodent to stop smoking !, otherwise known as pulling a habit out of a rat.;) :) :D :D

Attached Files:

11. Catt

Catt Guest

The tree looks awesome,the Shay is FANTASTIC ,your humor is ahh interesting ???? :D :D :D :D
  12. Drew Toner

Drew Toner Member

Nice Trees

Nice work Sumpter250, I sure like the detail in larger scales. There is sure a lot more work to it though. Keep it up!!

Drew
  13. sumpter250

Catt,
    Yes, the shay is fantastic!, and how do you think I get the trees to grow so big?! :D :D :D :D
  14. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Awesome job on the tree Pete! But you have provided one more reason to model in n-scale. 5 hours? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
  15. sumpter250

tyson,
    5 hours, and, enough material to build about thirty, highly detailed, N scale trees. Fortunately, the On30 diorama is small enough that I won't have to build too many more of these!
    Pete
  16. davidstrains

Pete, this is a verry good tutorial for a lot of folks that have asked about making trees - what ever the scale. That tree, just because of its size is an excellent example of how it is done. Very straight forward, no magic, just a good bit of modeling done right before our eyes.

Of course the little nip now and then improves the overall quality of the work by at least 120%:D :D :D
  17. sumpter250

And if it doesn't,,a couple more nips, and it LOOKS like 120% better. :D :D :D
  18. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

WHO starts lookin' better? :D :D :D

Nice tree. I thot you O'ers grew your trees :D :D :D
  19. sumpter250

Oh Man! jon !! I had these guys believin' that I built the dang thing!, and you go and let the secret out!!! :D :D :D :D :D
  20. sumpter250

The last step is, of course, installing the new tree on the diorama.
    A hole is drilled in the thin shell, and the tree is glued in place. Once the glue has completely dried, I will surround the base of the trunk with sand, and add thinned white glue. This forms a pretty solid base for the tree.

Attached Files: