A solution to that pesky ground foam...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
that keeps sprouting up along the right-of-way.
100_55431.JPG

100_5544.JPG

100_5545.JPG

100_5546.JPG

100_5547.JPG

100_5548.JPG

This weed sprayer car is one of two that I built about 30 years ago: the other one went to a friend. Kadee trucks, Cal Scale brake gear, and the rest is styrene and basswood bits. The operator sits up front, ahead of the moveable sprayer arms. Water in the wooden tanks is mixed with chemicals in the house section, then pumped to the sprayer heads.
The water car is based on one that I saw on the CNR about 1960. It's Tyco, with the coal bunker opened up and detailed with removeable coal boards and interior bracing. Also a coupler on the former front end.
The work service gondola is a former Athearn 40' flatcar, with new sides of styrene. It's used here mainly as a spacer car, for the benefit of the loco crew.
GVC 2-8-0 #25 is from the erecting halls of Bachmann, with a little cosmetic modification by the Grand Valley shops. With lots of added weight, she and her sisters can really move the tonnage. A little more work was done on the tender, including a clear-vision open coal bunker and a shortened frame and cistern, along with new handrails and deck details.
The caboose is Athearn, pretty much stock except for the trucks and Cal Scale markers.

Wayne

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
i hope your railmen know what they are doing!! that spray better be non-toxic, cause you dont want the fume vapors getting into the engine and making the engineer and them get a little sick, now do you? lol OSHA might have something to say about that!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
No prototype for the weed sprayer: I just kept building 'til it looked right to me. I wish I had one for doing my driveway. And of course the spray is toxic: it has to kill the weeds. The manufacturer has assured us that it's completely harmless to humans, after all, this is the 1930s, not the 1800s. By the way, the pictures were shot in Port Maitland, with GERN Industries, manufacturer of the flux used in the spray compound, prominently featured in the background.

Wayne

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Love it. A work train you can actually justifiably run! I remember seeing some on the MP back in Missouri and chased some on the UP out in Southern Calif. Sure makes an interesting train.