A small "N" dream layout?

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Just like Red, I've been armchairing an N pike. I found one which has been under my nose for years!!:eek: It's J Armsrong's "Vignette" from his book "Creative Layout Design".
Designed for photography as well as operation I'm going to give it my best shot.
In a 6ft x 3ft area I can't visualise a better layout. With sweeing curves where it's important and 11" and 9 3/4" curves elsewhere. Multilevel trackage and view blocking diagonal ridge, it promises all I could hope for.
It was Tysons posts that inspired me to rural scenes so I can have any number of scratch built timber built buildings on it :) :) (makes me happy as a hog in dirt! :D :D )

I want to start by making a small effigy of this layout, maybe 6" x 12", any of you guys got suggestions as to a better size for such an effigy?

Errol

Attachments

• vignette n-gauge.jpg
    vignette n-gauge.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 986

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
The "Vignete" schematic

Here's the schematic for the "Vignette" pike.
I will run Kato SD's, LL Geeps and SW switcher and Atlas/Rivarossi 2-8-2's (all are happy on 9 3/4" curves).

Geeeeeee, the more I think of this layout the more enthusiastic I get about it.

The red dots are connected to each other to complete the loop.
Errol

Attachments

• vignette n-gauge 1.gif
    vignette n-gauge 1.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 960

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Errol, Thats one hell of a nice track plan friend, I like a plan with various levels to it. Looks like you will be busy for some time to come.
I myself have been thinking of a small N-scale layout, but again it would be a logging one, and came across the this logger in HO, by Iain Rice, so I reduced it to fit a 5' by 2'-6" space which will just fit in a cupboard on end. This is three level and some great trestle bridges to make. Yeah, it's real fun this hobby.
Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• 1newlilliput(n).jpg
    1newlilliput(n).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 936

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
I have to snap out of it.. Are you guys telling me that you both are going to build N-Scale layouts?

Kettlestack and shamus, are you talking seriously? That should be great, because They are small, and probably you could both do a tutorial about many many things while putting them together!

I think it would be great. Share with us all your photos about them when you start building!

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Another Iain Rice Plan...

I am a BIG fan of Iain Rice's trackplans. I personally beleive that he'll easily be the next John Armstrong. I'd like to mention that he published a wonderful plan in (I'm pretty sure...) "Model Railroad Planning 2002"...The Kalmbach annual one... about a riverfront layout. This was in HO, but, as Shamus has done to the "Lilliput Logger", it could be scaled down to N scale fairly easily. I would love to build a smaller Iain Rice plan to take to shows, but, alas. No time.:(

MILWFan

Construction Techniques for Vignette

Kettlestack;

I also am looking at doing a first layout based on the Vignette. A version without a few spurs is listed as plan N-17 in the Atlas "Nine N Scale Railroads" book.

A question for you all is this: the Atlas book shows the tabletop being done with cookie cutter construction. Would you all build it this way today, or use foam and risers for the track bed?? Curious on modern construction techniques - I'd like it to appear a bit "rockier" and Utah like than the book shows, mainly to practice building some scenery for the layout I "really" hope to build someday.

Any info appreciated!!:)

Fred
MILWFan

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Errol!
I'm so glad you've picked a track plan to start your layout with! I've always loved that particular one, as I think it really makes use of N scale's strong points....broad curves & a high scenery-to-track ratio in a small area.
I sure am looking forward to seeing your progress on this one!
And I'm glad you're making a good home for all those wonderful scratch-built structures of yours!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Shamus, that's a peach of a plan you suggest but I tried years ago to hand build a turnout in HO without success so no way could I make them in N :( :( . Besides I don't know if Shays are made in N and if they were I couldn't afford one. I have 11 diesels and 5 steam locos so don't need anymore, well, maybe a B/Mann 2-8-0 :) .

Charlie and Robin, thanks for the compliments but I think you overestimate my skills. I'm still learning how to be patient when I see a project take shape, that's when it tends to go belly-up :( .

Fred, you're correct, I've been looking at that Atlas plan for years but didn't appreciate it's potential. I couldn't visualise scenery for it because in my mind it was drawn upside down!! :confused: :confused: .
I'll use the cookie cutter method as the elevations are too complex to ignore the Atlas easy way of doing it, besides, the foam used by the Gaugers isn't available in UK. This will be a fairly heavy layout and I'm worried about manhandling something almost the size of a bed!

At present I'm trying to clear space for it and considering multiple overhead quartz reflector lamps for lighting.

Errol

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hadn't seen this post back in November. Errol, you sure sounded excited, so where are the photos? Two months and your still clearing an area? Shamus would be done! I don't know. Sheesh.

Gary

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Shamus I like this plan alot and am wondering if you could walk me thru how someone would look at this plan and understand what the different symbols ,measurements and colors mean in relation to the plan. I'm starting on drawing one and would like to know some of the finer points of track planning from the MASTER. Thanks Pat

scottg28

Nov 4, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
I have been trying to make use of the lilliput logger in my overall design too, and I have pretty much decided to use it in HO as is except connecting to the main. the lower entrance would be achieved by removing the switch connecting the lower loop to the mid level and moving the lower level track up and outside of the upper level curve. The exit would be a switch added just past the town (I think that is what shamus in indicating) and just before the mid transitions to the upper level. This would then become an island of about 5.5ft X 10ft or so with a narrower entrance/exit neck connecting to the around the wall track.

what do you think? will it work? shamus any more information on your version would be appreciated also.

scott

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Scott & Pat,
I did in fact build the plan above in HO on a 10'x5' benchwork, it is three level with a hell of a lot of scope for scenery. Sorry I haven't got any photos of it built, only a video I took of it when all the track was down.

I had to dis-mantle it because the room was needed, since those days, I have a room to myself LOL

If you intend building it, then I will give you all the help needed.
Shamus

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Shamus I really don't want to copy your great work just learn how to plan MY layout better. Is there one book in particular that you could recommend for this? Thats why I asked about the lines and how to understand how all the features work.Thanks Pat

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Pat,
The only books that changed my way of thinking, (Apart from John Allen) were

1 - Practical Guide to Model Railroading.
2 - Bridges & Buildings.
3 - Scenery for Model Railroads.

These three books I still have.

I had them up for sale but had no takers on them.

Cheers
Shamus