A small logging layout in progress

Hello,

I'm working on a small logging layout for the Atlas Shay and my scratchbuild Climax.

The size of the layout is 4x1 ft. I'm trying to represent the way of logs on the railroad with a loglanding in the upper area and a logdump in the lower left. To get some hight in this small space, I'm using a switchback and 10% grades (with 5% on begining and end). The diference between the lower and upper track is 4".

The last picture is a shot of my mechanisem to move the turnouts. There are to brass balls on the ends of the brass rod outside of the benchwork. By pulling or pushing this, the turnouts switch from left to right or right to left. The switch on the right side is used to get the turnout in his position and to switch off unused track.

Attachments

• uebersicht.jpg
    uebersicht.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 396
  • switchback.jpg
    switchback.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 402
  • high.jpg
    high.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 394
  • Stellhebel.jpg
    Stellhebel.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 388

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Gerd,Looking good so far.. :thumb: Last year at the Marion(Oh) Train Show I saw a layout very similar to yours but it was in HO..I was highly impress since that layout was only 2'x6' long..I never thought of a logging layout in 1'x4' in N scale..Now with the Atlas shay such a layout would be ideal for displaying at local Train Shows. :D
Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated on your progress. :thumb: