A Quick and Easy fix---

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
I had one box car that would derail every now and then. The rest of the box cars behind the little Bachman 0-6-0 stayed on the track all the time. I just turned the little trouble maker around and ho and behold, it doesn't derail any more. Talk about a quick and easy fix; I am delighted. I hope it works for you. :thumb:

F

Fred_M

It's because you have a wheelset out of gauge (80%), or a truck that doesn't pivot freely (15%) or have a 2 wheelsets together that have one wheel closer to the points on one side and makes the truck dog track (5%). Turning it around makes the offending truck the follower and it will be OK as long as you tail chase. If you go point to point someday you might want to fix it. :) Fred

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
XavierJ123 said:
I had one box car that would derail every now and then. The rest of the box cars behind the little Bachman 0-6-0 stayed on the track all the time. I just turned the little trouble maker around and ho and behold, it doesn't derail any more. Talk about a quick and easy fix; I am delighted. I hope it works for you. :thumb:

LOL! I done that a few times over the years..What I couldn't understand then and still don't understand now is why that car never derailed going in the opposite direction of travel after I turn the car around. :confused:

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
Was it behind the 0-6-0? I had a bachman 0-6-0 (Yard switcher, not the wonderful tank engine they came out with a few years ago) that would shake itself and any cars directly behind it off the track, And it was the scenic railroads engine! Many HO scale men, women and children met their deaths when the engine rattled it self off a high evevated track and sent it self towards the plaster below. But such are the dangers when the scenic railroad skimps on funds and buys a faulty engine. Somehow they never got sued....

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Yes it was a Bachman 0-6-0 Southern Railways locomotive but I don't think it was the engine. While it is a little on the noisy side when it runs, compared to my Atlas RSD-4 diesel; it really doesn't shake. I just think it is the cheap ($2.99) little Industrial HO scale box car. At any rate, turning it around did the trick. I ran it again tonight and all is well. So, in your opinion, what is a really great engine to consider?

F

Fred_M

XavierJ123 said:
So, in your opinion, what is a really great engine to consider?
LOL, spending your money is easy! Get a Broadway Limited Bigboy. Fred

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks Fred. Maybe if I sell some of my junk on eBay, I could make a down payment on a Broadway Limited. Hmmm, that's not a bad idea. What's that old saying? "One man's junk, is another man's treasure."

F

Fred_M

If you wanna be serious, doing HO I had several modestly priced lokey and while they all ran fair, they were modestly priced lokeys. When I switched to On30 I purchased one Spectrum Shay (at discount of course) and that will probally be it. It runs so much nicer and looks so much better than all them HO lokeys put together. To me it is much better to have 1 quality piece than 10 modest, or 100 train set lokeys. Fred