A Question For Brian Schmidt

brakie

Hi Brian. :wave:
I am having a heck of a time nailing the CFW&E here in Bucyrus or Crestline. :(
Now the question I have is how often to they come east to Crestline? What type of locos am I looking for? Are they lease units or painted for CFW&E?
Here's what I seen so far to date at Crestline.
1.A ex Southern GP35 with ALCO trucks setting on the CSX (ex CR Cleveland main line).
2.What appeared to be CSX Geep units sitting in the middle of the yard.
3.Several grain hoppers and other misc. cars..
4.And what appeared to be a lease SD40-2.
All to sadly I was not driving at the time and was unable to check things out.I observed all of this from Bucyrus/Crestline road and the first crossing north of the diamonds.
Thanks for any information.

railohio

To the best of my knowledge the CFtW&E does not operate any trains itself east of Colsan. Their easternmost customer is the quarry on the Spore Industrial Track. The only trains that operate east of Colsan are the NS trackage rights trains, joint grain trains operated with CSX, and Wheeling trackage rights trains. I know for sure what you saw was a Wheeling trackage rights train as they have a fleet of GP35's and leased SD40's in all varieties. The CSX Geep in the yard was probably for the locals they still base out of there. The grain trains don't seem to operate with any regularity of schedule but they will always have power from CSX, even if CSX got it from somewhere else. The Wheeling trains operate daily into Lima from Akron utilizing CSX trackage rights from New London to Crestline, usually in the late morning or afternoon and return back east at night. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions just let me know.

brakie

Thanks Brian for the valued information.. :D
Looks like I have my work cut out seeing the CFW&E can slip into town and head up Spore to National Lime any time..I was unaware of the W&LE trackage right trains..All to sadly most local railfans isn't interested in the CFW&E or the W&LE operation in this area which makes it hard to get information.. :(