a problem with hull's stripping

arvivlx2

Apr 22, 2011
i'm building the Golden Hinde, and now i got this problem in the lower hull. i'm planking across the frames, but the strips of paper between the frames are benting and twisting, how do i get that fixed? i know now for my next model to put foam in the hull to keep the shape...

Z

Zathros

If the strips of paper are that thin, you should consider using a sublayer of paper stretched in a manner and attached tot he frames that will support the strips. You must be careful no to deform the formers. This could be done by placing small wooden dowels or strips between them. If you were to end up with an "ever so slight" warpage, I, in my opinion, thinks it makes the ship look more realistic. If you ever saw the sides of many of these planked ships, they are not smooth, at least, they don't end up being smooth. :)

Z

Zathros

Great!! God to hear it! Please, post pics, from now though, when she is visible, innards and all. Those are the pictures that teach so much! :)

arvivlx2

Apr 22, 2011
here is a photo with one side with the strips and one side without strips.

scaled.php

and here is a photo of what i build until now, not very good, but it's my first model..
scaled.php

20110731154756.jpg

arvivlx2

Apr 22, 2011
heres the both side of the hull, one with sticks and the other without:
20110731154756.jpg

By arvivlx2 at 2011-08-01

and here is what i did until now... not the best-looking, but it's just my first model:
20110731154827.jpg

By arvivlx2 at 2011-08-01