A postcard from Florida...

brakie

Yes prayers and best wishes.And those poor souls have another one heading their way unless it changes course. :(

Sir_Prize

Got my parents boarded up and we's all headed to Sweetwater, TN.!
If IVAN comes there we're headed to family in Ohio.

House is all nailed, and boarded, and tarped up. Almost couldn't get back in. :eek:
:rolleyes:

Hey, Tyson! That there Smoky Mountain gathering gonna be any good?
Might pop other there Sunday. (Let me know here or PM, after 9pm I ain't home)

Hmmm... Well at least it will be some sort of vaction... Ain't had one since last year.

rcwatkins

Guys heres an Ivan update. It has winds of 140 MPH, headed straight for Jamaica. Then it's off to the Cayman Islands and Cuba before making landfall at Sir's front door(like Charley) or right for shaygetz (Frances), or somewhere in between(Tampa). If I were you, I'd start making plans now to get out of the way if you don't want to be in the crowd. It could hit Monday-Wednesday, and will hit Key West and the "Dry" Tortugas as well. The nearest shelters for Key West is in Miami. We can't forget about Tyson as well, since I heard tons and tons of water were dumped on him from Frances. :eek:

rcwatkins

Sir_Prize said:
Got my parents boarded up and we's all headed to Sweetwater, TN.!
If IVAN comes there we're headed to family in Ohio.

House is all nailed, and boarded, and tarped up. Almost couldn't get back in. :eek:
:rolleyes:

Hey, Tyson! That there Smoky Mountain gathering gonna be any good?
Might pop other there Sunday. (Let me know here or PM, after 9pm I ain't home)

Hmmm... Well at least it will be some sort of vaction... Ain't had one since last year.
Right now it looks as some of the remanants of Ivan may hit Tues.-Thurs. period.

NYC-BKO

My prayers extend out to you guys and wish you and everyone well.

I talked to friend today who use to work with me and opened up a restaurant a month ago in VeroBeach. It's still there but no power and a freezer full of food, but if they get hit again he figures the restaurant is history.

Hope Ivan decides to shear itself apart before it hits.

Pooh Bah
Ken:
There's a really nice KOA in Sweetwater, if you have the camping stuff with you.
Hope that Ivan doesn't come in too hard.

Tyson Rayles

Francis dumped 5" of rain here but didn't cause any major problems for us. However the counties to our east had some major flood and mudslide problems. Ken this weekend is Railfest and I'm sure you would enjoy it if you can get here. I'll be working all day Sunday at the Lionel museum running trains (if you can call that work). The Great Smoky Mtn. R.R. will have their 2-8-0 there and the Norfork Southern will have an F-7 and something else (a GP-7 I think), plus there should be some speeders also. If you come over just tell them you need to see me and they will let you back there for free I'm sure. :)

fifer

Hope everyone is well down there!!
Hope you all are safe and put all they trains in your pockets for safe keeping ;) and got the heck out-a-Dodge.
Good luck ALL and We are thinking of you and the souls of 9/11. :cry:
Mike

shaygetz

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, guys. I'm writing from another computer, getting ready to close up shop. Heading to a hotel on higher ground. Be back in contact Friday :wave:

b28_82

yeah i hope it looses strength as it gets here so there isnt as much destruction for me to clean up or put an m16 in someones face for looting. As of now i'm getting everything ready to go up north. Trying to get outta here as soonas i can to try to beat the crowd

rcwatkins

UPDATE: Ivan will make landfall around Pensacola in the wee hours of Thursday. Sir_Prize, the move to Sweetwater was probably a bad idea because the remanants of Ivan the terrible will STALL just north of you. You will be flooded out the entire weekend. It looks like the danger has passed for the Florida peninsula, BUT WAIT, the East coast of FL is in the path of Tropical Storm Jeanne. However, that looks like it's headed for the Carolinas. As for Tyson, hope for the best, expect catastrophic floods w/up to a foot or more of rain. It's still gonna be terrible down on the gulf, as it's expected to be a Cat 4 hurricane making landfall.
As for me, I should get a few showers and some wind, but not much else.

Sir_Prize

I'm back home. Went to Ohio the night after Sweetwater. Stayed in Sweetwater again last
night and came home today. Keeping an ear and eye for where Ivan was.

shaygetz

Hey, folks, we made it thru. Our home is fine and the property, for the most part, is in usable shape. Our neighborhood is devastated and will be a long time getting back to some semblance of normalcy. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and I'll get back as soon as I can.

Blessings, grace and peace, BC

b28_82

I made it alright too. All that was wrong with my place was the deadbolt lock was a little rusty probably from the rain going straight into the hole. I got power back on Sunday night. I think Shaygetz's area got it worse than my area. I'm still waiting for the cable to come back on so i can use the internet from home, but until then I guess i gotta use the work computer. I have pictures of some of the destruction to follow as soon as i get my cable back.