A piece of history

FiatFan

Last Sunday my wife and I decided to go train chasing. First stop was just east of Webster City, IA where we found this freight holding. While we were taking pictures it received clearance and started to move.
IMG_3328.JPG

Moving on to Iowa Falls, IA we found this bridge.
IMG_3346a.JPG

The track running to the left runs up a fairly steep grad to reach the mainline above.
IMG_3348.JPG

The next stop was Mason City, Iowa, where we hoped to possibly see one of the traction engines of the Iowa Traction Railway. As luck would have it, all four were visible!
IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3373a.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

The salmon colored building to the left in the last shot is the IATR shop.

We pulled off on a side road to turn around and as I crossed some tracks I looked to my left and almost had a heart attack. This was sitting just short of the crossing. I thought that in my excitement over finding the IATR engines that I had overlooked the crossing signal. Fortunately it was holding just short of the crossing.
IMG_3386.JPG

The IATR also interchanges with both the ICE and the UP in Mason City. I caught this light(?) engine movement.
IMG_3378.JPG

Mason City is quite busy with railroad activity. It will be fun to go back there and spend a day train chasing.

All in all, it was a great day!

Tom

ezdays

Out AZ way
wow, what a delightful way to spend the day. Those are some awesome shots, and some spectacular scenery. :thumb: :thumb:

steamhead

WoW....You're lucky to have that action around you....!!! Great shots & good description of what's going on....

Hope you can get out more often & share your experiences & photos with us....:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Nice collection of shots from a great day out! The one with the windmills is sure eye catching! Cool to see Iowa Traction!

Ralph