Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1990-2000's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I'm basically doing post WW-II era. I really wanted to model the war years, but my major problem has been vehicles for that era, I can find plenty of 50's era stuff, plenty of '20's era, but no late 30's-early 40's.

Still, I may just imagineer it, that way I could run some troop trains. Maybe if I build the layout the vehicles will come....

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
mhdishere said:
I'm basically doing post WW-II era. I really wanted to model the war years, but my major problem has been vehicles for that era, I can find plenty of 50's era stuff, plenty of '20's era, but no late 30's-early 40's.

Still, I may just imagineer it, that way I could run some troop trains. Maybe if I build the layout the vehicles will come....

Williams makes '40 Fords. I've seen some nice metal models of early to mid 40's cars, but I can't remember the manufacturer. It would not be out of place to use models of '46-'47 vehicles on a layout because those model years were pretty much a rerelease of 1942 models. The automakers were not able to cease war production and start to design new models until late 1945, so the first new models would be 1948-1949. Also the '30s were the depression, people did not buy new cars every three years, so a lot of early 30's and late 20's cars would still be on the road. I think you would see a higher percentage of 10 year old vehicles on the road in the 30's than you would any time after 1950, and of course the mix of vehicles in the war years would be identical to 1939-1942. I'm making the presumption that you model in ho scale. I don't know what is available in other sizes.

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
Actually, cars for that period are widely available. I search them on the Walthers site by typing 193 or 194 on the keword field. You'll encounter dozens of WWII military equipment (I want a jeep!), but you'll also find some nice coupes, buses, farm and construction equipment, panel trucks and even a 1937 cord roadster (the modern Deusenberg). I'm aware that Sylvan makes some 1937 coupes and humpback and Busch makes some really nice 1931 ford trucks, which leads to this problem... most of the available vehicles are ford!!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Williams also makes 1932 Chevrolets. The one problem with model railroad automotive details in general is the tendency to make a lot of models of rare expensive models from all eras, but neglecting some of the more common low priced cars. Also, since most of the manufacturers are European, there is a much higher availability of European cars compared with American iron. This isn't a big problem if you are dealing with modern trains, but prewar, imported cars were very rare in the U. S.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
Williams also makes 1932 Chevrolets. The one problem with model railroad automotive details in general is the tendency to make a lot of models of rare expensive models from all eras, but neglecting some of the more common low priced cars. Also, since most of the manufacturers are European, there is a much higher availability of European cars compared with American iron. This isn't a big problem if you are dealing with modern trains, but prewar, imported cars were very rare in the U. S.

They stayed rare in he US post-war too...

The VW Beetle was the first to break that barrier in the late 1950s, but outside those, you need the mid 1970s when the Japanese econoboxes broke through

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I forget that California is probably different from the rest of the country. There were a lot of British sports cars on the roads out here from 1948 on. I also remember a few Euro economy cars that were out here, things like the BMW Isetta, DKW, variuos Austins, M G Magnette, and of course the Renault Dauphine. The Dauphine was interresting, they lasted pretty good if you never went over 55 mph with them, but try to run at a sustained speed above 55 and they would grenade the engine.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I tell myself I'm modeling about 1952. On the NYC portion of my layout, I stick to 1948-52 pretty well, I do have a 1938 20th Century and I will have at least one 60's era freight, because there is some 60's stuff I can't resist. But if I ever have a "serious" operating session I'll just run the 1950 time frame stuff. I have a bigger problem maintaining a time frame on my JGL, as I just had to have 1990 Susquehanna locos, said road has trackage rights into Taylor yard (in the 50's too with RS1s) Locos built in late 50's and early 60's will be allowed even during 1950 operating sessions, lettered for JGL with their "Ahead of our Time" logo. My biggest hurdle is operating steam on a 1952 JGL, as it is supposed to be a "progressive" modern road, early to switch to diesel. But I love steam, and so does the Vice President of the JGL, Eddie Willers, luckily. So he has kept some JGL steam and has been purchasing other roads steam for next to nothing as it is about to be scrapped. He maintains them with his own money and assigns them when he wishes. They are only run between Trenton and New York State's Taylor Yard, where they are kept. This is why, of course, I elected to model this portion of the road. The President had some misgivings about the presence of steam on his road, but the VP runs an efficient operation and doesn't allow the steam to cost the railroad anything, and the public has really taken to it, ridership of the railfan trips behind an old 4-6-0 is always high. So it seems as long as Mr. Willers is willing to finance them, steam will be present.

Funny the lengths we go to to justify doing whatever we want!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I thought that I was modelling the '30's, but it seems to be the "lost decade" in this poll. The layout is freelanced secondary mainline interchanging with CNR, NYC, and TH&B. The time period is the mid-to-late '30's, with small to medium size steam set in a relatively prosperous yet almost unnoticed part of southern Ontario. (Anybody capable of running electrically powered steam engines is also perfectly capable of rewriting history.) I also have enough diesels and more suitable freight cars to be able to run in a mid-to-late '50's time frame if I should so choose.
By the way, Sylvan has a growing range of vehicles suitable for the thirties, forties, and fifties, although I find them to be a bit pricey for what is essentially scenery. As mentioned, Williams Bros. and Jordan are also good, and I've heard of an outfit called Greg's Garage which offers a vast selection of cast resin vehicles for these decades, although I don't know how good they are or where to get them.
Wayne

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
1948-1962 thats what my time frame is, the truth be known I cant aford the new modles anymore so I buy preloved, loco`s ....after all I`m a cheep skate...have a good one steve

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
The 1870's

decal.JPG

Read about modeling the 1870's at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/why/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I'm doin' the early 60's because I kinda remember a few things mostly 'cause m'dad worked the section here and because there is a pretty good selection of previously enjoyed gear.