A pair of Bf-109Gs

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 2, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I wasn't a Dallas fan until Romo got the call. He reminded me of Joe Montana in the first few outings. I guess the other teams needed a few games worth of films on him to figure him out. I think they have his number! As for dedication, I have a bit of insomnia, (or insanity my wife says), the only problem is I'm not too functional after @ 1230 -1 am, just awake! Can't do many detailed model things at those hours, funny as I work shift work at an inner city hospital and can still function in that capacity. As for close ups, I've been playing with the camera an "old" canon power shot A80. Still has buttons I don't know a thing about! I just shoot 'em man I don't know what makes 'em go! Well some work to be done before the Eagles game, (my wife's home favourite).

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

In between plays and Pats game I managed to finish the Orlik's "tail feathers"... Here's a close up of the fixed parts, A bit more complex than the Maly, maybe unneccessarily so but still good fit.

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And another from diferant angle.

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The biggest differance is in the actual interface between the rudder/stabs and the fuselage. The Orlik is more favourable to positioning the surfaces in a stabs down rudder kicked angle. The Malys surfaces are dead flat and allow very little "candid" positioning.

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Another shot showing the finished tails...

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A quick shot of the rudder and stab differances, Maly L Orlik R. The Orlik mateing surfaces are rounded, Maly's flat. It wasn't any more difficult building up either set with each companies' differant designs so if I had my druthers I'd pick the Orlik for this section. Not "much" more to go, 4 wings, 2 sets of props, landing gears, canopies and small details.

Attached Files:

7. cbg

cbg Member

Ted,

Am really enjoying this side-by-side build. Found a pic of a G-4 with tropical filter for you.

[​IMG]

Noticed that the Maly horiz. stab has fillets whereas the Orlik does not? Or are you still finishing that section?

cbg

p.s. Am rootin' for the Colts this year.
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks for the pic, no fillets for the Orlik, it would've been better with fillets, there is a tiny gap that would've been completely gone with them.
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well the Eagles did it, another nailbiter. After a much relieved win, I started on the Maly left wing. Nothing overly special, prefold the wing shape and insert the wheel wells...

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Place in the wing bones and instead of using the kit's trailing edge flaps to glue the edges I cut them off and used some scrap strip placed 22mm from the trailing edge...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That's 2mm! Then wrap around the skin and join at the trailing edge. One secret to lining the edge up is when you are forming the wing gently start the forward/leading edge, then fold the wing over and line them up perfectly with the trialing edge. The run your finger long the leading edge, gently squeezing that edge. This preforms the entire skin, so all you have to do is wrap it around the spars and join the rear edge. It also helps eliminate the warping that "stretching" to reach the edges causes.

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The tips wwere next, preform them with a burnishing device of some sort, I use a crochet needle and gummi eraser...

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I usually glue the top tip first...

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Then add the bottom...

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Just about finished left Maly wing, I dry fit the airscoop, it will be placed after the wings are fixed to the fuselage...

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

top view,, sorta anticlimatic...

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The center mounting piece. This is a wedge shaped thing that presets the wing dihedral. You wrap the bottom skind around it...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Then glue it to the slotted area on the fuselage...

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The wings will glue up flush with the edges when both are finished. I'll do the right wing and move on to the Orlik later...

Attached Files:

20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

awesome! do you eat or sleep?
    Chris