A pair of Bf-109Gs

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 2, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Finished Maly fuselage, enough work for today!

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Dang Ted, you get more done per day on 2 models than most can do on one!

So far, except for the orange spots, I think I'm liking the Orlik better. Can't wait for the finish!

Rick
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I like the orange spots and the speed is incredible!
    Chris
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Carl the boxes were butt glued together, with the edges painted, The orange spots don't look that bad in person, kinda the same color as the Digital Navy Maachi 202. I like the Orlik kit better also, simply because it is a bit more detailed, but the Maly kit is a close run 2nd. If I had my druthers I'd do the Maly with connecting strips instead of bulkhead to bulkhead. I have the Modelart triple kit which is close in color to the Maly, this comes as a download with options for an F, G6 and G14 with Galland canopy. I just couldn't do 3 at once! See DW Gannon's build thread for that kit. The "fun" parts are next, the tail sections and stabilizers. I'll save that for tomorrow. Both kits have separate flying surfaces, and a complex way of intergrateing rudder and stabs. Have to wait and see.
  5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Hello, Ted

I'd just like to thank your for the tip on how to glue sections together - formers half a millimeter inside, glue on to both skin edges so they become sort of mushy, sparingly with glue on the formers, then press together. Makes a lot of sense to me, and I've never seen it described like that before.

In that spirit - is the former of the last but one tail section really mounted that much inside the skin? If so, how did you actually manage to mount the sections together - butt glued, skin edge to skin edge, or what?

Leif
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK........... I going to show that this is not one of my favorite planes............ but Ted.......... those wonderfully curved exhaust on the Orlik are COVERED UP!!??
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

John, The exhausts are patially covered. I'm OK with the colors, On close detail inspection, the air intake on the left side is all wrong for the Orlik and should be more like the Maly but what do I know, I just build 'em man. Here's a pick of the airscoop differances... Maly in the foreground Orlik in the back, also shown is the Maly spinner. nose section,"Look Bear no strips!"

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wheels, mini tutorial

I think Chris asked about wheels one time, here is a short tute on one way of doing it. There was a real cool tutorial a few years back that was awesome but I can't find it. That guy used black photo matting material @ 1mm thick as the wheel discs to start with. I'll get to that stage later... 1st start with your kits wheel parts laminated together with wood glue instead of plain white/tacky. This stuff dries hard and is sandable. The white glues just sort of mush and make a mess...

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Then chuck them in the dremel wheel cut off piece. You have to drill a hole big enough to take the chuck screw. I think there is an aftermarket chuck designed to take the boyscout pinewood derby car wheels but I'm not 100% sure this thing still exsists. Also this works for thinner wheels, but I may run into problems with thicker ones later. I have to find a mini screw long enough for the larger ones, will cross that bridge later...

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next step is to turn the wheels and shape them with some sandpaper and emeory sticks, This is actually kinda neat and fun. Be mindfull not to grind the thing down too much...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next step for me is to take a little paint on a rag and slowly spin it until the whole wheel blackens, do this away from anything you don't want paint spots on! Here they are blackened and ready for the hubs...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next cut out your detail parts, stick'em on...

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And you have some wheels!

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Yes I know the little tread things are not there I may experiment later, but for now I need to brew up some tea...
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

While wait'en for the kettle, I carved them little radial grooves in the tires. I use a micro file and painted the insides a little lighter black.

Attached Files:

16. charliec

charliec Active Member

I think Orlik might have it correct - one of the modifications of the Me109 for desert conditions was an extension of the supercharger inlet (on the left of the nose) to use a more efficient air filter. The Maly model is a Russian front Me109
    - (bit of research) - it's Erich Hartmann's Me109G-6 from staffel 9 III/JG52.

Regards,

Charlie
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Carl I have the Olfa and another circle cutter and can not use the thing to save my life! I keep twisting the thing and getting ovals. Until 1 build ago I used your method hand sanding bit by bit. The GPM and older Zarkov designed kits use a straight cylinder then add strips each a little thinner than the last and this works out great too. You have 2 techno differances that I'm trying to use, Duco cement and the circle cutter. Some day! Started on the aft flying surfaces, quite advanced for a Maly!

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Man did anyone see that thriller in Seattle tonight? Anyways here's alittle progress after the game, the rudder and tail surfaces are done and the tail wheel, all for the Maly. I'll attach them towards the end of construction.

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's a pic of the base of the tail surfaces all faired in. I'll work on the same for the Orlik tomorrow...

Attached Files:

20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I cant even keep up with your pics! looking absolutely great! Thanks much for those tips on the wheels. :D

Carl: do a tutorial on that please :D I got a spot for it in the reserves when you are done!
    Chris