Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 2, 2007.
Da udder' side...
Both fwd sections so far. The yellow part is the lower cowling piece to the orlik and it fits fine. I'll have to cut a coulple little strips to plug those gaps later...
The score so far. Cockpit detail parts goes to the Orlik. Colors are about equal, both kit's printing is excellant, no misregisters. Ease of construction goes to the Maly so far. It isn't just a matter of advance kit over beginner, the design of some of the sections is simpler for the Maly and looks just as good if not better, which brings fit. I don't profess to be the perfect modeler, very far from it, if you want perfect look at the Konkradus site from Poland, there is perfection, but I'm ok, I think I know by now what I'm doing so if there is a misfit part I can tell if it's the kit or me. So far the Maly kit has been perfect, no frantic grinding, no planning to cover up mistakes, no paint jobs to hide design flaws. The Orlik's fit has been good. The few areas of concern were not huge and certainly correctable but the score for fit is Maly misfits-0, Orlik 2.
Both planes up to date and par with each other. Time for a glass of port and some nap time. More tomorrow!
This is really wonderful seeing a side-by-side build like this. I'm a novice at planes and all the wonderful building logs here are a real treasure trove, and this one even more so. Many thanks and keep up the great work!
I'm curious about that, too. The photos on Orlik's sight show what looks like a desert camo scheme, similar (sort of) to Italian markings. But the orange looks too bright for Luftwaffe desert tan. http://www.orlik.konradus.com/modele/22messerschmit/me109.htm
Is this some sort of field-applied fall camo from the Russian Front? My books on aircraft markings don't show anything like this.
The Orlik kit's cover shows a much more subtle brown over green speckle camouflage on the fuselage. The tops of the wings aren't shown.
Does anybody recognize those unit markings? Or can someone who reads Polish find any information on Orlik's site or in the kit? Maybe it was another German terror weapon--kill 'em with ugly.:-D
Ted, your side-by-side build/review is a great idea and well-done! Thank you!
Not sure about orange............ but I've got a picture somewhere that shows an Arfika Corps Me-109 against the African Desert and besides being a perfect match for camonflage it had spots shaped like that. But I always thought they leaned more toward the sandy tan color............of course for US aircraft that bleached out to what they call desert pink! Maybe this is what color the German planes bleached to after flying in that hostile desert environment.
Great job with the comparision build Ted............. I've always suspected the newer Maly's were closer to the other model manufacturers standards. But I guess that still depends on the designer.
Bring on more "secrets", please!
I think the orange is a little too over emphasized in the photos. The real kit is a little less orange, the pics were taken under halogen lighting in a cave with the door shut and locked and the entry forbidden sign up and the do not ever vacuum until clear sign up. This may be also the "mediterranean' scheme and also since supplies were scarce in that theatre the paint job may well have been captured or borrowed from anybodies paint stocks. John as for the new Malys, they are a quantum leap from their earlier aircraft. I have their spitfire vb that has a very detailed interior, much better than anyones except the Halinski. I have that one on the pile. Maly might be for young modelers but these kits are up there for us older kids. I have to take back one of the misfit problems with the Orlik kit. The little gap above the exhaust cut out is for a shielding piece that fits nicely in that gap. The only other big misfit was aft and the bulkhead needed ground down to fit the connector for the aft fuselage. The Orlik's lack of diagrams is costing me some Angst. David thanks for the link to Orlik's site, one of their pics shows this, and I fitted the parts last pm. Whew one big problem solved! More on this build later....
Some things to do while waiting for segments to dry. I started on the little exhaust stubs. The fuselage segments are in the backround. The simple pipes are for the maly the curved sections are Orlik's.
Installing for Orlik...
Topside view of both...
Side by side.
Could be II/JG53 - Staffel 6. The red edged "1" suggests it could be the staffelkapitan's aircraft. This unit was based in Sicily in 1942.
A little more progress for tonight, finished the Orlik fuselage. So far so good excellant fit for the remaining segments.
Finished the exhaust stack assembly, the gap was actually for the fairing piece that is above the pipes...
Finished up the air scoop under the chin. Now on to the Maly...
The rear segments showing the former set inside a little...