A pair of Bf-109Gs

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 2, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A new year and a new project(s). Watching the Bear's 109 inspired me to build some of my cache of 109 kits. I have 3 G models, The Orlik, the Maly and Modelarts. DW built up a Modelart awhile back so I narrowed the next builds to the Maly and the Orlik version. I thought it would be "fun" to build them side by side and compare them, Buildability, color, fit and detail. I haven't built any of my Orlik's for fear of being in another misfit hell, (like the HobbyModel F4E), but one of the kits have to be Ok? The Maly kit is a big surprise. This is not the 90's Maly! The detail and parts provided in the kit seem to be on Par with the simpler Answer of Modelik kits. The Orlik kit as some great aspirations, great color, alot of detail parts, separate flight surfaces. I'm a little apprehensive of fit, we'll see...

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I laminated the parts up and cut them out and separated them into 2 piles. In order to keep them together until I need them in an assembly I put'em in bags. The Maly kit has fewer formers, A bit bigger and simpler. The Maly kit also uses former to former sections in the fuselage construction. I may deviate from this later but it would not be a complete comparison then. The Orlik kit has tons of formers. I cut out all but the smallest of them, I'll do that when the part comes under construction.

Attached Files:

3. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Verrryyy intersting!!! This should be an entertaining and educational thread!
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

From the limited Polish I understand the Maly kit has you start at the cockpit. The Orlik has downloadable "english" instructions on their site. I believe these are English translations from "Dolphin speak", but you can get the drift. Here are the cockpit parts reaady for assembly...

Attached Files:

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

ooooh this is gonna be good!
    Chris
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

laugh-in and the stooges................. ok here's Boss Hog...........

Handle it Ted............handle it, handle it, handle it.............:grin:

Dude, you are going to go blind building two kits at once, oh wait......... are you building one with the left hand and the other with the right?:grin:

Reguardless both will come out good unless thay both have mis-fits! Maybe I should just nip that talk............... Nip it!

john
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Don't know about te Orlik kit but Maly should be a pleasure.
    Every model designed by Pawel Mistewicz is a pure fun to put together but remember that Maly Modelarz translates roughly into "Young Modeler" and the kits published are geared towards the beginner/intermediate so the level of detail on the interior will not be the same as Orlik kit.
  8. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Two at one time, I could only wish. Oh we are talking models, my mistake.

Jim Nunn
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is a great idea Ted, and an impressive undertaking! Good luck and great fun!

Rick
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well thanks guys, I was hopeing actually one of you would send the white jacket guys and beat some sense into me, but no, I told you I'd do it! Why didn't you believe me? Anyhows on to some fun? I started on the Maly kit, and as Mike says it is kinda intermediate but still fairly detailed for that level. Here's a pic of the rudder pedal assembly going in. I messed with my camera and the size of the pics turned out HUGE! o there isn't alot of the intermediate steps...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's apic of the port sode closed up waiting for the stb details...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And stb...

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the finished cockpit, minus the gunsight.

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Sorry about the huge pics, I adjusted the camera down for the next days shootin' Here's the Maly wing frames I built up waiting for stuff to dry.

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's the work done on the Orlik cockpit so far. I was also building up some of the little outside things while waiting for stuff to dry. That's it for tonight, more later....

Attached Files:

16. sakrison

sakrison Member

Ted,
    Nice project. Maly has indeed come a long way. Their B2N5 Kate is comparable to any of GPM's mid-level kits. I just gave Maly's Hurricane to a 16-year-old modeler friend and he did a fine job with it--no complaints. Their ship models, like the Orp Piorun in 1/200 scale, look fantastic, too. I've got that one on my short list. (The attached photo is from the Polish Kartonbau forum--not my work. I'd know who built it if I could read Polish.)

No worries,
    --David

Attached Files:

17. GT5500

GT5500 Member

How the heck did you get the seams so good on the boxes in the cockpit?
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's what I was wondering - super clean!

19. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Very good thread to begin the year with.

Congratulations!
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The "secret" to the boxes is to butt glue them. Remove all the tabs and COLOR THE EDGES! So many times I see builds that would be super but for the whites of the edges showing. Sounds pretty basic but... A small amount of progress for tonight, the frameing for the fwd fuselage of the Orlik kit is done, ready for skinning...

Attached Files: