A&P Warehouse - completed

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Well...I finally finished the A&P warehouse....for now. Always more detailing once it makes it to the layout.

Anyway...kitbashed a Bar Mills sign slightly for the roof signage. Wound up putting the "Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co." sign on the building itself and using only the round A&P part on the roof. I think having the name on the building helps it look less like an advertisement.

Again...this is N scale and only the second structure I've ever built.

Attachments

• newA&P1.jpg
    newA&P1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 157
  • newA&P2.jpg
    newA&P2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 153
  • newA&P3.jpg
    newA&P3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 150
  • newA&P4.jpg
    newA&P4.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 152

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
That cool Frank, I didn't know what A&P stood for. Are they still around. They used to be here in Ga. but I haven't seen one in a long time.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Thanks for the comments guys.

SAL Comet....A&P is a national chain...started in NYC in the late 1800s. They originally started as the "Great American Tea Co." but changed their name to "Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co." once they began using the railroads to supply goods cross-country. By 1930 they operated over 16,000 locations. They consolidated into "super" markets by (I believe) the late 50s and were down to like 6,000 stores. They still exist today, but their stores carry different names depending on what area you're in....such as "Super Fresh".

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
That looks great Frank!! I didn't realize it was N-scale - you sure can't tell from the photos. I like the sign treatment too. Did you make the ones over the door yourself, or are they part of the Bar Mills kit?

Val

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Frank, didn't the A&P's also operate Malt shops in their stores in the 50's? I remember my parents talking about how they would head out to the A&P for a shake. Course we don't have any A&P's left here, they all were gone by the mid-late '70's.

Oh And BTW, the building really looks good, time to start weathering it ;)