a newbies question

grimlocksmash

Aug 2, 2006
hey everybody, im soon going to start a layout with ho trains and afx cars together, my question is i have very limited space as i rent an apt. but i have use of a barn where im restoring a 65 falcon, my question is i can make a decent amount of space but as you know a barn can get pretty hot and pretty cold, myself i dont mind the temp. but how will my layour fair against the heat and cold, im thinkin it would be pretty close if i were in an attick anyways, but i have no other choice, its either the barn or nothing, any ideas would be apreciated!!!!

thanks!!!!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The changes in temperature will be quite hard on your layout, and also on any of the models, locomotives and rolling stock left there. The locos can be especially susceptible, given that they are filled with electrical components/electronics.

If you were in the attic, you might be able to correct the situation somewhat with a space heater and/or air conditioner.

You might want to consider building a modular layout, or some dioramas that can be incorporated into a future layout when you get more "inside" space.

Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

grimlocksmash

Aug 2, 2006
yes, that was a concern of mine, if i went all out and had an awsome layout and then cause of the weather conditions it would ruin all my work, it would be a waste, i do have other options, i just wanted to check on that one first, the area in my apt. would be smaller but, is workable, just more difficult, but ill let you all know what i can come up with

thanks!!!!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think another problem with the bafrn would be the accumulation of dust and dirt on the layout. If you have room to store modules or sections in your apartment, you could take them to the barn and set them up for operating sessions. In the last couple of years Dave Barrow did an article in either MR or one of MR's annuals about a minimalist version of his "domino" sectional layout that uses bare plywood and unbalasted track with industrial buildings put down on the layout for operation. It is not very good for photography, but if your imagination can fill in the scenery, it could be satisfying for operation. If you build a layout in the barn with temperature extremes, be sure to leave enough gaps between rails in the cold to keep from having rails kink in hot weather.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Our local club layout here in Western MT is going through growing pains right now. I don't mean getting physically larger in trackage. We are located in a metal building with no heating or air conditioning and the track is buckling and warping at a serious rate. We have a coin operated system for museum visitors so we are constantly out on the section gang reworking track. Incidently, my son-in-law is doing the same thing for real with Montana Rail Link. Its called expansion and contraction. I put in a bridge and abutments this past spring before the hot weather. Tried to fit the bridge onto the abutments in June before the museum opened and it wouuldn't go because of layout expansion.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave:the temp swings will depend on you location I live in sw Arizona ans my layout (what there is of ) is in a unheated uncooled room in my shop the temp has not been too hard on the trackage (just me:) ) the dust and fumes from shop have been much more of a problem.

grimlocksmash

Aug 2, 2006
thanks everyone for all your replies!!!! after considering them all i think ill shy away from the barn, if i do a layout in my apt. space will be less, but much more controlled will be the temp. and overall cleanliness of it, ill try to make the best of my small space which overall is about 10 feet long and 3 and a half feet wide, its kinda the back way out of my apt. and is kinda like a coat room and for junk as well, but its the only spare space, but i think i can make a go of it, im in northeast pa. winters get cold summers get hot, atleast in my apt. the temp. is pretty much the same, so wish me luck and ill keep everyone up on how the layout is going

thanks everyone!!!!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
a 10' x 3-1/2' space is quite a bit. Is that space for the layout, or the entire space (i.e. you have to be in there too.)?

Even if you have to get in there, a shelf layout that focusses on switching can be fit into 10x1 or 10x1-1/2, leaving you 24" to get in and out. In HO, this is long enough tp comfortably run a train of about a half-dozen cars or so.

The local NMRA chapter has a switching layout based on John Allen's "TimeSaver" that is 6' x 1-1/2, and it provides lots of fun.

Andrew

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ill try to make the best of my small space which overall is about 10 feet long and 3 and a half feet wide, its kinda the back way out of my apt. and is kinda like a coat room and for junk as well, but its the only spare space
Sounds like that's the entire space.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
My "empire" is upstairs in the garage, not heated , been there three years now and doesn't seem to have surrered any ill effects.If it matters i used sectional track and left the joints pretty wide (partly for the clickety clack) and only nailed it down where I had to. I bring my engines in in the winter but leave the other stuff out (except paint 'n' stuff)
good luck/have fun

grimlocksmash

Aug 2, 2006
no that would be the useable layout space, plety of space for me still, in the garage i may have more space but other hazzards, hmmm lots to consider here, and again thanks for all your replies!!!! ill let you aLL KNOW WHAT I DECIDE, the thing about the garage is in the dead of winter, if its 10 degrees you can bet im out there, the cold wouldnt bother me, butr how does it react with trains and stuff, and with my afx set im going to go with as well, hmm lots to ponder......