A New Supply of "Material"

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
While cleaning the office a day or two ago I found a box of old business cards. They looked just the right Height and width for some of the S&B stuff that I have been trying, soooo...
I took a handful down to the train room and played with the ruler, knife and glue for a couple of hours and here is the result. This is another way to do the "cardboard mockups". And if I get to be any good at painting I just may use them for background buildings also.

Attachments

• card2.jpg
    card2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 361

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Robin and Tyson,

Thanks for the comments. It just keeps getting better. I guess it is the newness of finding that I like this aspect of the hobby that I seem to try all sorts of things that I never expected that I would even consider. And now that you (Gauge folks) have kind of given me that old KITA to do more---I am. Problem is that when you stop working on track to build structures the layout progress falls behind. I still have scenery to do, and a lot of it. There just aren't enough hours in the day:) :) :)

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
Like you, I have also been bitten by the bug. Now, when I am out at flea markets estate sales and garage sales, looking for ebay items, I also look for scratcbuilding materials, and RR'ing supplies. I've passed up many opportunities to buy N-gauge trains in the past, because I wasn't into it, and now I look back and kick myself.:(

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
MAN THAT BUG GOT BUT GOOD GOT ME TOO GOT FOUR OR FIVE PATERNS GLUE TOO CARDBOARD RIGHT NOW MYSELF and few I have rescale down to n-scale just no time to do any plus I still have to order some windows:D :D :D :D :D rich

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by rich maiorano
plus I still have to order some windows:D :D :D :D :D rich

Rich,

I found a hobby store down in Richmond (Chesterfield Hobbies) that has a great selection of Grandt Line window, doors etc. Picked up 4 packs of 36" windows and industrial windows. He was ordering another bunch while I was there.:)

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
you guys down under the mason dixon line have all the good hobby shops all I found was one that was all trains but mosty G and Loniel and lot of it and the one close to the house had maybe 10 mt cars a thats it the wood I got at the craft store:mad: :mad: rich

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by sumpter250
David,
A couple of new industries for the layout! Neat! Well................. you did say they were "business" cards.;) ;)

Looks good!
Pete

Great thought, Pete. You make "business" interpreted loosely as Industries, etc from "business card stock":D :D

ima, they are a great source of material and if you are in "N", very much the right sizes for buildings, houses etc. :) :)

Here is another one that I did last night and today. I used some paper brick sheeting and wood sheeting that Errol sent a month or so ago. I reduced the size down to where it looked right and printed it to see what I could do with it.

It is going to be Chris's vegetables and Produce Co. and replaces a Meat packing plant in my "vegetarian" daughter-in-law's "town" on the layout.:) :)

Attachments

• chris's vegetables and produce2.jpg
    chris's vegetables and produce2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 258

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Very nice work David.

Shamus
wink.gif

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by shamus
Very nice work David.

Shamus

Paul

I owe a great deal to you, Tyson, Errol, Pete jmark.., and the rest for (1) getting me into this end of the hobby, and (2) for taking the time to view and comment on things that you see from ALL of us, whether we are accomplished craftspeople such as your self and a few others here or beginners and "hackers" like a LOT of us here. That kind of encouragement is contagious and makes us want to try to do more and different things that we see others doing so well.

Thanks again from an appreciative modeler.:) :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by davidstrains

Paul

I owe a great deal to you, Tyson, Errol, Pete jmark.., and the rest for (1) getting me into this end of the hobby, and (2) for taking the time to view and comment on things that you see from ALL of us, whether we are accomplished craftspeople such as your self and a few others here or beginners and "hackers" like a LOT of us here. That kind of encouragement is contagious and makes us want to try to do more and different things that we see others doing so well.

Thanks again from an appreciative modeler.:) :)

David,
You've put into words the same feelings I have for this place!
Also,
That is an exquisite structure you've built there!:cool:

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Re: Business Card

Originally posted by Drew Toner
........... Can't wait to see the windows and doors installed:) :)

Drew

In another thread Charlie suggested the use of the "fiberglass Drywall mesh" as a source of windows. I found my roll, did a little cutting and glueing to see what it would do and then put on some "business card" doors and some of Errol's paper"wood" for the Freight doors. Added some paint to the walls and here is a before and after result. (please ignore the alignment of some of the "windows". :):eek: This was done AFTER the walls were constructed. I used long strips of the mesh so some of the vertical divisions do not line up where they should. :( That will be corrected when I do the real thing!!!) :):D

All of the techniques suggested work great. Now I have to put the scenery on so I can build these things for real.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and comments.:) :) :)

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 115