A new face here !!!

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Hi everybody !

First I want to thanks everybody here, all of you make this place (The Gauge) such a great community ! I've only been here for a fews days but I'm really happy with all the threads I've read and all the information I got !

I've been model railroading for about a year, my N scale layout is really coming along nicely ! For all that time all I knew of was the rec.models.railroad newsgroup. Altough it is very popular and has some good information, I was really sick of all the flaming/wars/insults that happens so often there ... And now I found The Guage ... wich is seems a very friendly place to hang out !

Yesterday I've laid my last spur on my 4x8 N scale layout. It feels so great, I finally finished laying tracks ! About half of the whole layout is already ballasted, and I can now completed the ballsting too ... things are going so fast theses days ... I think I've done more in the last two months than in the previous ten months ! I'm very proud of what I've done yet ...

I'm also ver very proud of my website (about model railroading, duh !) it contains lots of pictures of my layout and also somme good informations about modeling. Here are some urls for thoses who would like to visit my site:

The home page: http://www.mrrkb.com
My layout: http://www.mrrkb.com/mylayouts/axdrr/ (not been updated for a while)
The KnowledgeBase: http://www.mrrkb.com/kb/

The knowledgebase containe only two articles (track soldering and track ballasting) but I've put many hours of work in them and I've had many good comments about them ... check it out you may learn something from a newbie :) :) :)

Well ... enough for today ... have a nice day and a great weekend !

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
all the above. You have found one of the best groups of people around. If you do nothing more than read the posts here you will be able to model with the best. But you really learn by asking questions, trying what has been suggested, finding your Strong Points, and working on the less strong. Have fun:) :)

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Hi !!!

I'm glad to see that everyone seems to be having fun around here ...

Yesterday I decided to try to mix my two hobbies: trains and computers ... and it worked !!!

Nope ... not some computer-control system ... but simply a webcam ! I had lot's of fun setting up the camera and programming the frame capture software !

Now you can all see my layout in real-time ... updated every 30 seconds ... but that's okay there's not that much action on the AxD R&R right now ...

It's not quite perfect ... the image is too big and not clear enough ... and sometimes we forget to leave the lights on ... but here's what it looks like:

http://www.mrrkb.com/webcam/

Sorry about the mess ... I have no benchwork so the layout is always full of tools and junk ...

Please post your comments !

Thanks a lot !!!!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Alex!
Great to have you aboard!
Nice site you have!
\Would love to see more of your layout!

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
What a novel idea, watching someone else work. We could even prompt activity and offer on the spot suggestions:D :D of course then Alex would have to stop working to talk to us which then defeats the purpose of our watching him work:) :)

Where is Jon when you need him? He could figure this out:D :D :D

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Originally posted by davidstrains
... could even prompt activity and offer on the spot suggestions, of course then Alex would have to stop working to talk to us which then defeats the purpose of our watching him work

... but it could be a real timesaver ... I'd love to be interrupted to receive a message like : "Alex, stop looking for that screw, it's right there at the base of the hill, just beside turnout #7"

:)