A new chassis for a Bachmann U33B.

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by Ray Marinaccio, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The motor is marked "Kader 881" , so I assumed it was a Bachmann.
  2. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    These are the dimentions for the fuel tank.

    Attached Files:

  3. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The two ends and tank wrapper were cut from .010" brass sheet.

    Attached Files:

  4. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The bends were formed starting from the inner bends and working outward.
    The sheet was clamped between two 1/4" steel bars.

    Attached Files:

  5. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The first two bends completed.

    Attached Files:

  6. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The third bend in position ready to be folded.

    Attached Files:

  7. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    Twisting the bars to make the bend.

    Attached Files:

  8. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    A 3/16" bar was used to make the final bends.

    Attached Files:

  9. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The completed wrapper.

    Attached Files:

  10. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The ends and wrapper were test fitted.
    Some filing was required to get a good fit.

    Attached Files:

  11. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The parts were removed from the frame and the ends were soldered on at the bottom corners only.

    Attached Files:

  12. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The tank was refitted on the frame and the ends were soldered.

    Attached Files:

  13. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    Then the sides were soldered to the frame and then all the seams were soldered.

    Attached Files:

  14. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is the frame after all the seams were filed.
    The next installment will be the air tanks.

    Attached Files:

  15. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The air tanks were made from two 1" lengths of 7/32" brass rod (a float arm from a toilet).
    The ends were shaped with a file as they turned in the lathe.
    .020" holes were drilled in the ends for the air lines to be inserted into.
    The tanks were then soldered to the mounts.

    Attached Files:

  16. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The fuel tank was filled with ballast (I used some shot from an old shotgun shell)then the filler hole was sealed with caulking.

    Attached Files:

  17. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    The trucks and motor were installed and wired.

    Attached Files:

  18. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    Driveshafts were then fabricated.
    I didn't have the Bachmann coupling so I fabricated the ball end and shaft then pressed it into an Athearn #90106 coupling that I drilled out and removed the spline from.
    I would recommend using ready made universals from NWSL.

    Attached Files:

  19. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    Once the shafts were installed it was ready for a test run.
    Drilling the holes in the coupler mounts will be done after I finish the pilots to determine the correct location.
    The air lines and Detail West fuel fillers will be added latter also.

    Attached Files:

  20. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    At first it seamed a little noisy in the trucks.
    Some cardstock shims on top of the square worm bearings quieted them down and its running great.

    Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.