A neat little scene

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here's the set-up at the foundry. There are two tracks under the overhead crane. One comes from the switching lead and terminates at the building, the other runs from under the crane into the building. I'm kicking myself for planning it this way, when it would have been so much easier to run one track from the lead directly into the building.

Oh well. Now the guys had to install a winch and motor to haul the cars into and out of the foundry.

A lot of coal gets spilled during transfer, so that's what the wheelbarrow and shovel are for.

:D Val

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 261

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks again for all the encouragement folks!!!

Fast Freddy, the motor is a detail part made by Scale Scenics (a div. of Circuitron). You get 4 different sized motors in the pack but there's a big problem -- they contain LEAD!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't notice this until I got them home. I was under the impression that no one makes anything out of lead nowadays because of the obvious health hazards, both to the user and to the workers who have to make the stuff.

Bad Scale Scenics!!!!

Val

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Don't worry, Val, just wash your hands after handling it until it's painted, and don't let any youngsters get ahold of them. Same precautions as solder, finshing weights, bullets, etc. It's really only dangerouse if it's eaten. The big deal was when it was in paint, kids would eat it and when they used to solder water pipe, lead would leach out into the water.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Oh, ok Jon. I just finished firing off an email to the company telling them I wasn't going to buy any more toxic products from them no matter how much I may like their castings.

Are you actually saying that bullets are a health hazard too????

:D Val

F

Fred_M

I concur, lead is only dangerous if injested or breathed in the correct compound. Metallic lead is pretty benign. Here in Missouri the ground is above EPA standards for dissolved lead because this is where they use to mine it and it's naturally occuring. We have to monitor our wells for lead here. Here's our annual report and why I drink lots of beer. fast freddy:)

Attachments

• lead.jpg
    lead.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 83