A modern Goose...gets a beak?

shaygetz

The RGS (Thanks Vic) gooses...er...geeses came with two different pilots. One was similar to a typical cowcatcher on a steam locomotive. The other more interesting one was a small plow blade. I didn't want the first 'cause it looks like the shop crew stole some poor dupe's iron gate and slapped it onto the front with some baling wire. I made this a separate post because I can see, not only narrow gauge plows, but full size ones in N and Z scales would be a snap with this stuff.

This one was made from one of the slats found on cheap vinyl blinds. Getting the center to work was the hard part. I held it up to a bench grinder at about a 45 angle. This gave me an almost perfect compound angle. After several attempts to cement it with Ambroid Pro-Weld and Testor's Liquid Cement I found success with Crazy Glue Gel.

It now awaits that dadburn Suburban to finish it.

Attachments

• wedgeplow.jpg
    wedgeplow.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 181

shaygetz

Here it is mounted on its lead truck. It is fragile looking yet surprizingly sturdy. I didn't want to lose that "wave" in the front so it scales out at about 8" taller than a real one.

Attachments

• wedge1.jpg
    wedge1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 163

shaygetz

Thanks TC. I've been wanting to try a plow project with the scrap vinyl blinds for years. This goose project gave me the opportunity to use one. I am truly pleased with the first effort.

shaygetz

I've had to adjust some of my original ideas on this plow. I removed the coupler's pad, it just got in the way of proper movement. I drilled two mounting holes 3/32" apart so that it can be adjusted fore and aft to compensate for tight radius curves and turnouts. Finally, I added #4 spit shot fishing weights top and bottom of the plow tongue so that it would track properly into the aforementioned curves and turnouts. I flattened and shaped them to fit in the pictured locations, mounting them with Crazy Glue Gel. It now guides smoothly thru all situations ('ceptin' yer average N scaler doesn't scenic their pike with an HOn30 locomotive in mind, "Watch out for that tree!":p )

Attachments

• wedge4.jpg
    wedge4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 82