A modern Goose...gets a beak?

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by shaygetz, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Messages:
    3,877
    Likes Received:
    0
    The RGS (Thanks Vic) gooses...er...geeses came with two different pilots. One was similar to a typical cowcatcher on a steam locomotive. The other more interesting one was a small plow blade. I didn't want the first 'cause it looks like the shop crew stole some poor dupe's iron gate and slapped it onto the front with some baling wire. I made this a separate post because I can see, not only narrow gauge plows, but full size ones in N and Z scales would be a snap with this stuff.

    This one was made from one of the slats found on cheap vinyl blinds. Getting the center to work was the hard part. I held it up to a bench grinder at about a 45 angle. This gave me an almost perfect compound angle. After several attempts to cement it with Ambroid Pro-Weld and Testor's Liquid Cement I found success with Crazy Glue Gel.

    It now awaits that dadburn Suburban to finish it.

    Attached Files:

  2. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Messages:
    3,877
    Likes Received:
    0
    Here it is mounted on its lead truck. It is fragile looking yet surprizingly sturdy. I didn't want to lose that "wave" in the front so it scales out at about 8" taller than a real one.

    Attached Files:

  3. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Messages:
    3,877
    Likes Received:
    0
    From the top...

    Attached Files:

  4. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Messages:
    3,877
    Likes Received:
    0
    And the side...

    Attached Files:

  5. TrainClown

    TrainClown Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2003
    Messages:
    897
    Likes Received:
    0
    Cool scratch build!
  6. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Messages:
    3,877
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks TC. I've been wanting to try a plow project with the scrap vinyl blinds for years. This goose project gave me the opportunity to use one. I am truly pleased with the first effort.
  7. Matthyro

    Matthyro Will always be re-membered

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2000
    Messages:
    4,767
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well done on that difficult compound joint shaygetz. An interesting project.
  8. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Messages:
    3,877
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've had to adjust some of my original ideas on this plow. I removed the coupler's pad, it just got in the way of proper movement. I drilled two mounting holes 3/32" apart so that it can be adjusted fore and aft to compensate for tight radius curves and turnouts. Finally, I added #4 spit shot fishing weights top and bottom of the plow tongue so that it would track properly into the aforementioned curves and turnouts. I flattened and shaped them to fit in the pictured locations, mounting them with Crazy Glue Gel. It now guides smoothly thru all situations ('ceptin' yer average N scaler doesn't scenic their pike with an HOn30 locomotive in mind, "Watch out for that tree!":p )

    Attached Files:

  9. shaygetz

    shaygetz Active Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Messages:
    3,877
    Likes Received:
    0
    And another from the top...

    Attached Files: