A major warning for Labor Day weekend

rcwatkins

This is for those of you on the S.E. coast, espically FLA. Hurricane Frances is headed for you guys this labor day weekend, and if all forecast models are right, we could be in for another Charley, as it's a major Cat 4 storm. It should hit either Saturday or Sunday. So if you don't want to end up like Sir_Prize you should board up and get out while there is still time. Sir_Prize, it's looking like it'll make landfall on the East Coast of FL, but seeing what you went through, you might find it best to take precautions now, just in case it gets bad. ;)
Be careful out there!

Sir_Prize

Sending Parents to Tennessee; there's a Hotel they stay that takes critters. I'll watch the house, even with my heart and back still the healthier of us.
What worries me is the curbs filled to gills with yard junk, water logged interior junk, pool cages pieces... you get the idea.

Thanks for the worry, though.

b28_82

As for me we are watching closely to see which direction it takes to see if the center goes over the Ft. Walton Area up in the panhandle. As of now we're in the possible trajectory but there has been no thought of packing anything up or flying anything out. As of now it is TBD.

rcwatkins

They now have Hurricane WATCHES from FLA City in the South, to Flagler Beach in the North. They are also saying Frances is 3x the size of Charley, which according to the NHC, Frances is a normal major hurricane size. Evacuations have been confined only to certain residents. This sounds pretty scary, since then you have to go with the flow, which is about 2mph. This is supposed to affect all of FL, but could affect GA and the Carolinas.

shamus

Registered Member
Yep, my Daughter who lives in Orlando had a hard time with "Charlie" leaving a tree on the house and loads of debris in the garden. Hope it misses her this time.
Shamus

rcwatkins

As you should know by now, WARNINGS are in place where the watches were last night. Things should go drastically downhill tomorrow. But there is a tiny sliver of hope, as a dry slot is developing in front of Frances, which could weaken it a tiny bit. It'll be in your hair FL for most of the weekend. If you haven't evacuated yet you should do so now, as I saw on TWC about an hour ago, traffic has let up on I-95. But it took one woman 67 hours to travel 95 from Miami(I think) to Jacksonville. Gas is running out in many stations, and evacuations are rampant. Some weird things happened today too as there were still some folks out on the beach, even a wedding! :eek:

rcwatkins

NEW UPDATE
Hurricane Frances is now a category 2 system with winds of 105 mph. However it is moving slowly, is still massive, and is expected to get up to 20" of rain, maybe more. There were reports back when this was a cat 4 with wind gusts of 152 mph and storm surge of 3.5' to 4'. This report was in San Salvador. It'll still be in your hair most of the weekend and at last check the first feeder band was over central Florida and moving west, producing 50 mph wind gusts on the E.coast. Now if people were smart, they would have traveled down to the keys, since they're not supposed to get much of Frances. ;)

Raildog

Charlie indeed hit us hard here in Kissimmee. Lightning hit my computer two days before Charlie, so I had a double disaster. New Mobo, more Ram, new floppy drive and a reinstalled OS, 5,000 lbs of tree limbs and assorted debris and I'm good to go.

Frances effects seem to change hour by hour, but we have boarded up all windows and will ride it out. Flooding is a concern as 20" or more of rain may be dumped our way. Luckily we are in a raised area that never sees standing water... We hope.

Glad to be back on the boards. Our plight is tiny in comparison to you guys down in the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area. You don't need any more "weather".

jmarksbery

:wave: Our thoughts are with all you people in Fla. Be sure to try and stay safe and may God bless all of you. Take care, Jim

shaygetz

Just saw they changed the track to put it in my driveway come Monday night. I wonder if they'll be showin' Monday Night Football at the shelter.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

jon-monon

I always think about you guys when this stuff hits. Be careful, stay ouit of it's way if it decides to visit you, and God bless...

Sir_Prize

Neighbor ladies tarp starting blowing off. Other neighbor dude and I went up on her roof
and nailed some 1x2 strips to give a better hold. Two bands came through while up there.
Boy Howdy! I had to lay on the tarp while my neighbor nailed the strips. Now, that all are
down and safe it was really funny.
Shaygetz- If ya need anything bro ley me know.
Oh, yeah! My net is back... till Frances knocks it off.
Shamus- If your daughter needs a hand I can help, too.
Actually... Any of you in Florida that might need a hand after let kmow. I'll load up Bobbie Joe
(My Ford Ranger) and come help... after I see my own mess.