A little switching action

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Great names! Thanks for the ideas folks!

LIRR said:
How about "The harrisburg clipper: We promise nothing with break down this time, maybe"

LIRR, I'm not sure I'd want to go out on such a limb with my passengers and promise that much!!! It is the PC afterall! :D

Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
13Mtrainer said:
can we get a track plan from you? 13Mt

Here's my plan. Its a long dogbone style with the end loops folded on top of each other on the left side. This gives me the nice lengthy continuous run I wanted. It also creates a busy double track look. I drew the mainline in orange. There are two long sections of hidden track labled as A and B. They travel under the track on the top and far left side of the plan and emerge from a tunnel just above the loop on the lower left.

The yellow track is a long siding that follows the main as hidden track from one side of the room to the other. I can run locals from that yard on the left to the industrial area on the right while letting another train run continuously. I can also cross the main and switch industries like Hudson Cement by isolating the block there and being mindful of where the continuously running train is on the layout. Sometimes I like to try completing a switching move before it completes the circuit and needs the track I'm working on.

All pics on this thread were taken on the right side of the plan.

Attachments

• trackplan.jpg
    trackplan.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 140

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
Ralph said:
Great names! Thanks for the ideas folks!

LIRR, I'm not sure I'd want to go out on such a limb with my passengers and promise that much!!! It is the PC afterall! :D

Ralph
I remember reading an acount of a PC passenger train losing its A-B consist of F-units, so the train was powerless, and steam generatorless (This was during the winter mind you). They sent a pair of SD9's to haul the train the rest of the way, the passengers we're hours late and bone cold!

Have you ever simluated such an event on your layout? I allways thought little things like that could add to a operating sesson.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Ralph, i found some more names, They are all PRR Passenger Train Names.

1 Admiral - New York, NY -- Chicago, IL
2 Akronite - New York, NY -- Akron, OH
3 American - New York, NY -- St. Louis, MO
4 Cincinnati Limited - New York, NY -- Cincinnati, OH
5 Clevelander - New York, NY -- Cleveland, OH
6 Congressional - New York, NY -- Washington, DC
7 Duquesne - New York, NY -- Cleveland, OH; St. Louis, MO
8 General - New York, NY -- Chicago, IL
9 Golden Triangle - Chicago, IL -- Pittsburgh, PA
10 Gotham Limited - Chicago, IL -- New York, NY
11 Iron City Express - New York, NY -- Pittsburgh, PA
12 Liberty Limited - Chicago, IL -- Washington, DC
13 Manhattan Limited - New York, NY -- Chicago, IL
14 Northern Arrow - St. Louis, MO -- Mackinac City, MI
15 Philadelphia Express - Philadelphia, PA -- Pittsburgh, PA
16 Pittsburgh Night Express - Pittsburgh, PA -- Washington, DC
17 Pittsburgher - New York, NY -- Pittsburgh, PA
18 Rainbow - Pittsburgh, PA -- New York, NY
19 Spirit of St. Louis, MO - New York, NY -- St. Louis, MO
20 Red Arrow - (PRR, WRR) New York, NY -- Detroit, MI, (Traveled Two Railroads)
21 St. Louisan - New York, NY -- St. Louis, MO
22 Valley Special - Chicago, IL -- Pittsburgh, PA

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Here are some NYC Passenger Train Names Also:

1 Berkshire: Albany, NY -- Boston, MA
2 Booth Tarkington: Cincinnati, OH -- Chicago, IL
3 Canadian: (CPR, NYC) Montreal, QC; Ottawa, ON -- Chicago, IL ( Traveled Two Railroads )
4 Chicago Express: (CPR, NYC) Montreal, QC -- Chicago, IL ( Traveled Two Railroads )
5 Chicago Mercury: Detroit, MI -- Chicago, IL
6 Cincinnati Special: Chicago, IL -- Cincinnati, OH
7 Cleveland Limited: New York, NY -- Cleveland, OH
8 Cleveland Mercury: Cleveland, OH -- Chicago, IL
9 Cleveland-Columbus Special: Cleveland, OH -- Columbus, OH
10 Columbus-Cleveland Special: Columbus, OH -- Cleveland, OH
11 Commodore Vanderbilt: New York, NY -- Chicago, IL
12 Detroiter: New York, NY -- Detroit, MI
13 DeWitt Clinton: New York, NY -- Buffalo, NY
14 Easterner: Cleveland, OH -- New York, NY
15 Empire State Express:New York, NY -- Detroit, MI
16 Forest City: Buffalo, NY -- Chicago, IL
17 Gateway: Cleveland, OH -- St. Louis, MO
18 Great Lakes: Cleveland, OH -- Buffalo, NY
19 Hendrick Hudson: New York, NY -- Utica, NY
20 Interstate Express: Boston, MA -- Buffalo, NY
21 James Whitcomb Riley: Chicago, IL -- Cincinnati, OH
22 Knickerbocker: New York, NY -- St. Louis, MO
23 Twentieth Century Limited: New York, NY -- Chicago, IL

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Matthew! You are a wonderful resource for train names! My intitial google searches yielded few results. I'm sure other PC, NYC, and Pennsey modelers will appreciate this...and...WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! I'm going with the Iron City Express...seems appropriate since my train stops at the steel town of Kings Port!
Thanks for your research!

LIRR, I've considered creating some "situation cards" for operations that might tell me that a certain section of track is being repaired and can't be used, or a certain car needs to be taken off the train because of mechanical problems. Your scenario would fit nicely....but hopefully not too often! :)

Ralph

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Ralph said:
Matthew! You are a wonderful resource for train names! My intitial google searches yielded few results. I'm sure other PC, NYC, and Pennsey modelers will appreciate this...and...WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! I'm going with the Iron City Express...seems appropriate since my train stops at the steel town of Kings Port!
Thanks for your research!

Your Welcome Ralph. :wave: I'm also sure they will appreicate this information. Yes that name does, steel and iron seem to go together very well.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
13Mtrainer said:
what are the specs of the layout?

Hi again 13M,

The layout is 12.5 feet by 20 feet in HO scale. The return loop curves are a minimum of 24 inches radius with those on the right side being larger. The narrower parts of the layout are two feet wide in most spots. I never measured the total length of the mainline but it takes a train running at a prototypical speed a full five minutes to circuit the layout.

Ralph

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Ralph...

..., I am beside myself!

I always liked reading your posts- but this is great stuff. I am here railfanning a railroad that I am thinking is perhaps, somehow an extension of what I am going to build. Then when I saw your track plan I was thinking, "Hey, is this guy been looking over my shoulder"?

You know I love the PC. I intend to model the Manayunk as a bridge between the Reading and PC (with a good representation of pre-re-paint to PC).

Anyway, I was just tickled to find myself having a railfan trip here at my workstation, on your RR, while listening to the morning commuter traffic blaze thru Port Chester, New York. AEM-7s, Acela, P42s, and an FL-9 (in New Haven colors).

Thanks for a fun morning. Back to work.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Mark!! Great to hear from you! I like the sound of that layout in your head. I'm looking forward to hearing about progress. I'm also envious of your railfan site...er workplace. :) By the way...an FL-9 in NH colors?!
Very cool!
Ralph

One more pic....a different switching crew, on the opposite side of the layout, stops off for a meal at Dave's Diner, the best place to eat in West Mill Jct. Its location between tracks makes it a great place for train watching while you eat, but hang on to your soup bowl when the through freights roar by!

Attachments

• dave's.jpg
    dave's.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 83