A Little Disappointed Tonight.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I recently won an auction on eBay for an RMT Beep. Norfolk & Western #504. The guy was a week late shipping it but let me know he was down with the flu. Since I've had my own battles with it this year, I could forgive that. Well, the box arrived today and when I opened it, I found he had shipped me the wrong loco. Instead of a Norfolk & Western, he sent me a Pennsylvania #8003.

I've sent him an e-mail telling him about the mixup but he has yet to reply. I'll give him until Monday since I know a lot of people take off for the weekends. (The guy lives in Florida. I'd be out hitting the beaches too.) We'll see how he replies before I get mean.

I know mistakes can be made but it's still really disappointing when I expected to be running a full N&W consist this evening. :(

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Too bad,but like you said mistakes are made especially when you deal in high volumes.The question is how he reacts to this,if he's a good seller he'll pay you to ship the wrong loco back and send you the one you won while being polite about it,if not you may have a fight on your hands.

Chris

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
CRed said:
Too bad,but like you said mistakes are made especially when you deal in high volumes.The question is how he reacts to this,if he's a good seller he'll pay you to ship the wrong loco back and send you the one you won while being polite about it,if not you may have a fight on your hands.

Chris
I'm waiting to see if his reply is more, "Sorry about that! Send it back and I 'll get yours sent right away" or "You got an engine, didn't you? What difference does it make?"

;)

MarioBarb

Oct 12, 2005
Hi

Most railway dealings I've had on ebay have been pretty good - Check out his feedback score, and if they are mostly positive, its probably a genuine mistake. Give a bit of time, re -email and if still no luck, leave negative feedback. Most e-bayers hate negative feedback.

Goodluck

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
MarioBarb said:
Hi

Most railway dealings I've had on ebay have been pretty good - Check out his feedback score, and if they are mostly positive, its probably a genuine mistake. Give a bit of time, re -email and if still no luck, leave negative feedback. Most e-bayers hate negative feedback.

Goodluck
He's got a feedback with a grand total of two. Brand new eBayer.
Normally I would have moved on but I decided to take a shot this time.
He supposedly runs a hobby shop that's been open for a few years, so I'm hoping he doesn't want to hurt business by messing up an eBay deal.

I did find his completed auction for the Pennsy 8003 and it ended with no bidders.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
He should apologize and offer to pay for your return shipping, while shipping you the correct item immediately. If he does anything else, he's not someone you want to do further business with.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Torpedo said:
He should apologize and offer to pay for your return shipping, while shipping you the correct item immediately. If he does anything else, he's not someone you want to do further business with.
I totally agree. Judging from the e-mails I received from him both at auction's end and when I enquired on the shipping status last week, I really think that he will want to make it right. Of couse, there is always the off chance that he may tell me to stuff it up my wazoo but I really doubt that will be the case. I'm just mostly disappointed because I was looking forward to running both my N&W's together last night.

simmonds

Feb 20, 2007
Fall Creek, Oregon
Waiting for a new (or new to you) train to arrive in the mail is EXACTLY like being a kid again and laying in bed Christmas eve and waiting for morning. The anticipation can be grueling. Now imagine waking up Christmas morning and all you had under the tree was socks and underwear. Or that box you could have swore was just the right size and weight to be the 2023 UP locos you have been staring at for weeks in the Lionel catalog turns out to be a shoe box full of school supplies!

I feel for you Cannonball. Hopefully this new eBayer will make things right. Make sure he pays all shipping both ways. Let us know how it turns out. Chris

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Ebays weakness is that you see a photo,you don't get to hold it in your hands. Most of the times small one sided and lacking of detail. People bid on faith in a honest person being on the selling end. Also sellers have buyers who are not of the most honest of persons. With Ebay you take a chance either way. It is always one persons word against another.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
toptrain1 said:
Ebays weakness is that you see a photo,you don't get to hold it in your hands. Most of the times small one sided and lacking of detail. People bid on faith in a honest person being on the selling end. Also sellers have buyers who are not of the most honest of persons. With Ebay you take a chance either way. It is always one persons word against another.
Except for one or two exceptions, I've had pretty good luck dealing with people on eBay. I don't think this guy will screw me if he using eBay to help subsidize his hobby shop. I could be wrong but I'm willing to bet he will make it right. It looks like he just got the trains mixed up to me. He had my auction for the N&W going at the same time as the Pennsy 8003 and he shipped the wrong one.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
toptrain1 said:

E BAY = THEFT BAY. :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Matter of perspective...Pennsy be the smack down favorite in my corner:D :

Sorry, hadda get that out...I'm good...:rolleyes: :eek:ops:

Here's hoping he'll do you right.:thumb:

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
COMBAT said:
E BAY = THEFT BAY. :)
I have to take acception to that remark,I happen to be selling a couple things on E-Bay right now and I'm not a thief!And aside from the one time I got ripped off for over $1200 my experience overall has been pretty good.:wave:Luckily I got every cent back,Paypal gets a bad rap and maybe they deserve it,but they helped me out big time.

Chris

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Waiting too..

On Feb 12th I won an old timetable. The seller is from the trolley museum an hour away. Two weeks later, I've never received anything, the museum is run by volunteers, and the ebay person is missing in action. He didn't return phone calls, e-mail, or show up at the museum either. Now I'm in paypays resolution center. Museum is closed to public till march.

Same day I won a train book, 9 days later, seller tells me he just sent it now cause he was snowed in. 9 days snowed in??? Give me a break.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
If you did what I do for a living, you'd know what I mean when I say Theft Bay. Just like everything else, its not everyone there but its the rule of thumb. Sorry :)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I just don't think characterizing E-Bay as "theft bay" is correct that's all,in general the great majority of the people are honest hard working people.Just like every facet of society you're going to have bad apples that try to ruin it for everyone else,maybe one in ten of my transactions has turned out to be bad or bothersome.I generally don't deal with anyone unless they have really good feedback which I always read to see what kind of efedback they have received and to see what they have sold,If the guy has 100% feedback,but it's all from selling(or buying) cheapy crap and all of a sudden he's selling a bunch of high dollar items I stay away from them.

I've actually had more problems buying off the internet from e-tailers so either way you're going to run into theives and scammers.Whenever you plan on buying from an e-tailer go here first....

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Chris