A light barrier

A short time ago I built for my friend's planed rr-museum a light barrier.
Here a short description of progress.

Poller_k.JPG

Material for posts is brass 1/8" diameter. These two samples of posts are turned with a small drilling machine using files and a juweller saw. You should try to use a small drill late for turning a moer great number of posts or check if you can find fitting parts for ship model building.

Absperrung_probehalber_k.JPG

First samples of the future barrier; here I tested the distance of posts and length of chains between the posts.

Absperrung_03k.JPG

Barrier in progress; all posts have got a fine hole below of the head and parts of model chains are mounted.

Absperrung_04k.JPG

Five feet of barrier are ready for mounting and I used 76 posts for this length.

Absperrung_05k.JPG

Here the principle of my technology.
I used very fine steel wire (diameter 0.1 millimeter approx. 1/256") for fixing the chains to the post. The post is drilled with a hole (diameter 0.4 millimeter approx. 1/64") so that the chain can not go through this hole. Wire is keeped through the holes three times like a double loop (lanyard) where the end links of chain pieces are hooked in the loops. Than I grap both free ends of wire each with a flat plier and so I constrict the loops until wire is pressed into the hole forming a "s". The heavy forming of stell wire avoids that wire is solved byself and I have need a good power for disconnecting the chains form the posts. The result was that the fixed chain links were destroyed however the steel wire was not opened after such an test.

That what I have written is the theory for connecting the chain to posts.

Absperrung_06k.JPG

Praxis is shown here.
The previous part of chain (right) is connected to a post and will be connected together with a new part of chain to a new post.
After fixing the chains to post you should watch that the both side fixed chain does not has a multiple torsion in order to get a free swing chain. Turn over the new post until you get a torsion-free chain.
I use such a predrilled wood for setting the ready build barrier.

Absperrung_07k.JPG

Last a picture as I mount the barrier to the layout. All holes on layout ground are drilled and posts are glued in position piece for piece. Watch for a correct position of posts so that chains have a straight line. In other case turn the posts before glue is setting.

Wish you good success for own modelling.

See also my "museum thread" where you can get a few first impressions of the rr. museum in progress including this barrier.

Bernhard

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Absolutely beautiful precision work Bernhard! The jig you made for spacing is clever. I am in awe of your skills.
Ralph

Tommybza

Sehr nette Arbeit
Drechselten Sie den Pfosten Ihr Selbst?
Ich betrachte Ihren Aufstellungsort nach netteren Abbildungen.
Tommy

steamhead

jawdropjawdropWoW...!!! What more can be said..?? Those are better looking than "real-life" ones. :thumb:

Thank you very much to all for your friendly and appreciatory comments.
More pictures will follow after our exhibition end of February in my "museum thread".

Ein besonderer Dank und beste Grüße (Gruesse) an Tommy. Habe mich sehr über (ueber) Deine Antwort in Deutsch gefreut.
(A special thanks and best greetings to Tommy. I was very enjoyed about your answer in German.)
Sorry, I have forgotten to give you an answer. I have turned (shaped) all posts byself on a small lathe and I have made 145 posts all in all.

Bernhard

Now I have a nice picture form the barrier in full length, shot while the exhibition in Dresden/Germany in mid February.

SvenJaco_0472mk.jpg

I think the 6' length is a good job and it was a really hard work.
See also a few more pictures of the exhibition in my "museum thread".

Bernhard

ezdays

Out AZ way
Absolutely astounding work, there's no other words for it. They look equally as good in brass as they do painted. Turning those posts took a lot of patience. Congratulations on a fine job.:thumb: :thumb:

N

nachoman

Nice work! I would have turned just one and tried casting the rest. that would have given me an excuse to experiment with casting :)

Kevin

Thanks to all your answers. These give my all new inspiration and perseverance.

And for all the nice last comment written by Tommybza in English:
"You have the best of both worlds in your hand, the marzipan and the trains; excellent work.
A special thank to Tommybza.

Bernhard