A kitbash here a scratchbuild there

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I took a few quick photos of some kitbashes and scratchbuilds I've cobbled together.
This first one is the Lionel hudson I could never afford. Built mostly of sheet steel over a Lionel motor.

Attachments

• 027hudson.jpg
    027hudson.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 759
  • 027hudson.jpg
    027hudson.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 757

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I started with a Pennline frame and drivers with this K4. Also on the back burner. I'm going to have to finish some of these.

Attachments

• 0hok4.jpg
    0hok4.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 718
  • 0hok4.jpg
    0hok4.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 719

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Five star work there Ray. I know some O scale people that would be envious of your work. In fact some P:48 people would leave a puddle of drool on your floor. Great work, and please do share your secrets.

Greg Elems

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks for the compliments. Actually you are some of the first to see some of these.
As far as working with steel, it's not that different than working with brass. A little harder to cut, bend and roll. Machining takes a bit more patience as you need to take lighter cuts using cutting oil. That gets pretty messy.
Most of these were built before I got the lathe and milling machine. You don't need fancy equipment to build a locomotive. (but they are fun to play with) The atlantic was the only one using them. tha boiler was a peice of black pipe turned on the lathe, cutting the areas between the boiler straps and the smokebox, then laminated the smokebox with apeice of embossed beercan. I cut the othe end and spread it open to form the firebox. The other boilers were rolled sheet steel and soldered, which I would recommend doing, it's actually a lot easier.
The drivers on the atlantic have mini-ballbearings from VCRs on the axles. Speaking of the drivers, what do you think of those thread spools.
I would be glad to share my secrets to to keep this so called "dying breed" of scratch building alive. I wouldn't know where to start. So please ask, hope I can help.
An HO steel E6

Attachments

• e6.jpg
    e6.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 643
  • e6.jpg
    e6.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 643

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
The drivers on the atlantic were fabricated from thread spools with extra spokes added and a brass tire bonded in place. these ones were made with the lathe, but I've made others without it. Without the tire using the tender for electrical pickup.
As for an interurban, that's something that interests me, need to do some research. I did have a small line on one of my earlier layouts but compared to what I've seen of yours mine was rather crude.
home made rivit tools

Attachments

• rivit tools.jpg
    rivit tools.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 171
  • rivit tools.jpg
    rivit tools.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 170

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
WOW!!

Ray,
Man, that is some really fine work, my friend!
I'll echo what one of the earlier posts said:
I'm really envious of your abilities!:cool:

I read so many editorials in the modeling press complaining how the days of "real modeling" are in the past...
That theory is shot down daily on these internet forums!:cool:

So please continue your excellent work Ray, & keep sharing it with us of the more "technicaly challenged" persuasion!:D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Re: WOW!!

Originally posted by Charlie
I read so many editorials in the modeling press complaining how the days of "real modeling" are in the past...
That theory is shot down daily on these internet forums!:cool:

I believe those days are only in the past for those who continue to read those magazines. The best interests of the industry aren't served by folks like us who see what we want and say, "Can it be built?", but by folks who see what they want and say, "Can it be bought?". It's not a complaint and there is certainly nothing wrong with the trend (we still benefit from it), we just are not part of that facet of the hobby we so enjoy.

Ray, your work reminds me of the old greats that got me in the hobby 30 years ago, please keep the pictures coming.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Wow, Sounds like we were inspired by the same people. I remember those days looking at the photos in the old MR and RMC and only hoping I could build anything that nice. Never thought my work would be compared to the'res.