A Hoisted Layout??? Pulleys/wires/in garage

fuzzyloggin

Oct 9, 2006
Sydney,Australia.
hey al, im new to the gauge and just think this place is great,
i have lots of work to be done here and many many ideas, i need to talk to people about layouts,rolling stock dcc you name it but i think the first order of business is for me to ask all you gauges out there if anyone has any information or ideas/opinions and or links about hoisted layouts.

basically ive done all possible negotiations with the boss and tried reworking parts of the house and ive done it all and in the end there is only one spot for my lifetime dream of a fully sceniked model railway and that is hung from the roof of my garage connected to pulleys and attached to a boat winch ive done a hell of alot of work trying to plan this out and i am pretty close to knowing exactly how i shall proceed but like i said any info would be greatly appreciated :)
thanks guys hear from you soon...

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I don't think I've ever seen a fully hoisted layout, but I've seen plenty that hinge on the wall.

However, one of my other obsessions is to own a particular convertible which has an optional removable hardtop. There are pully hoisting systems for the top (which doesn't way much to begin with) for in the garage. If you keep the overall weight of the layout pretty low I think you could hoist away with little trouble at all. You'd definitely want to remove all the engines and cars first.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I've heard of such systems and I think I saw one in one of the modeling magazines, but I don't remember when. I think it would work better, if the hoisting cables, ropes, or whatever you use to hoist are removeable. Also you don't want to operate the layout while it is suspended from a roof, you need to have some sort of leg system to support it so it doesn't sway. I would suggest that some of the plastic folding saw horses would work for support when the layout is in the operating position. If the saw horses put the layout height lower than you want to run, get a saw horse kit that is designed to use 2 x 4s and make the legs as long as needed to get the height you want.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
The other cautions I have heard about suspended layouts (besides the legs):

- framework must be absolutely rigid; there can be no sag between hoist points under any circumstances.
- pulleys for cable must be directly overhead the suspension points to prevent uneven lifting. Pulleys must have a secure mounting that will not let go no matter what (crashes can ruin your whole day)
- use wire cable and not rope. Rope stretches too much. An adjustment mechanism is needed to adust cable lengths (turnbuckles?).
- a plastic cover is recommended for the layout in the up position to reduce dust and cleaning chores.

From what I have heard from those who have tried them, the hoistable layouts are the last choice for a layout. Hoisting is only to be used when there is absolutely no other choice.

my thoughts, your choices

Switchman73

Oct 9, 2006
pacific northwest
I think its a pretty cool idea if you did it right. I was kicking this idea around for a while then decided it was easier just to kick the cars out of the garagesign1

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
I too have this same plan to put a layout in the garage. (Before I found out I have another baby on the way.)

Check out [SIZE=-1]Harken Garage Hoist Systems. Just do a google search. There used to lift camper shells off trucks etc.
[/SIZE]

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
jflessne said:
I too have this same plan to put a layout in the garage. (Before I found out I have another baby on the way.)

Check out [SIZE=-1]Harken Garage Hoist Systems. Just do a google search. There used to lift camper shells off trucks etc.
[/SIZE]

Congratulations! On the baby, not the layout idea. Though the layout idea is cool too :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I saw several articles on it in the 70s in MR magazine with favorable results, I'll see if I can't dig them up. Another thought from around the same time period---the guy insulated his garage attic roof and dropped a 3' wide by 3' deep aisle from the ceiling that ran the length of his garage. The floor of the attic then became the starting point for his layout, accessable via a pull down stair case which was then covered over for walking. It left him full use of the garage...minding one's noodle when you went from one side to the other...with plenty of room for the car. He could access all wiring, switch machines and circuitry under the layout from inside the garage from a step stool. Pretty cool ideal and at the top of my list when all else fails.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
LoudMusic said:
However, one of my other obsessions is to own a particular convertible which has an optional removable hardtop. There are pully hoisting systems for the top (which doesn't weigh much to begin with) for in the garage. If you keep the overall weight of the layout pretty low I think you could hoist away with little trouble at all.
Mrs. Doc has a particular convertible which has an optional removable hardtop. I bought a pully hoisting system made especially for it and believe me, it will lift a ton! The limitung factor is more likely to be the garage rafters. I beefed mine up just to be sure.

I did have a 4'x8' hoisted layout way back when I was just a little Doc. It was O scale and had a slot car set on it as well. It didn't have any scenery though, just track. We rested it on a couple of saw horses to run it.
Good luck!
Doc