A help with the pass please.

sds888

Jul 31, 2005
Townville, SC
I was just going through my fathers things that I inherited recently. I found a book logging railroads of South Carolina. I begin to read and boy did i open my family's past. I found that my father had sumitted some pictures to the book that were published. I also found out that my Great Great Great Great Grandfather own a logging railroad in fechtig, SC. When his son inherited the railroad he bought a brand new engine made for him. It was a Lima shay #1922. He named it the E.R. Ginn #1. I the found this website on it. http://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/lima2399/sn-1922.htm
They have no picture of this loco. I was wondering if any one on here could tell me about it and if they sell this type of loco in HO gauge? Also would appricate any pictures of these as well. I was just getting some plans together for a layout this may change everything finding this information. Thanks for all of the help.
Stephen

N

nachoman

well, it is a class A shay, and the closest non-brass HO model would definitely be the Keystone Locomotive works kit. It is an unpowerd whitemetal kit, but can be powered with a NWSL drive system. In brass, there would be more optons available, but much more expensive. As for the photograph, I think you have already searched the best source I know of. You may also try searching photo databases at public or university libraries in South Carolina. You may find something that way.

kevin

sds888

Jul 31, 2005
Townville, SC
thank you for all of your help. I am still researching and have several books in the local libary at Clemson University. I plan on going and looking at them very soon. I looked on those webpages and I found the non powered unit. It did say it was a class- A but the NWSL drive system has been discontinued. Well back to the drawing board. any suggestion if I wanted to model this period what would be the closest things I could use. or should I go to the next era and get the kit and put it out to pasture on the layout and having a more modern train running and just call it the E.R. Ginn #2? Thanks
Stephen

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Stephen

I just bought the HOn3 version of the Keystone Shay (from Flying Scot Hobbies) and the NWSL motorizing kit from Caboose Hobbies. The Shay is a model of a Class A 20 ton protoype (I'll look up and post the actual prototype tonight). There are still motorizing kits available at some hobby shops and occasionally on E-Bay. NWSL has stopped production of the motorizing kits temporarily because Keystone is having difficulty manufacturing some specific parts for them. I'm guessing from what I have heard is that Keystone has had quality control problems in their casting process - metal pieces not coming out hard enough in very recent runs. There is a lot of info on the web about building the Keystone Shays - as some say, it's not for the faint of heart, but stick with it and it results in a very nice small Shay that out pulls just about any other Shay model.

The price of used/new brass Shays just leaves me cold, particularly when the running qualities appear to be all over the map.

sds888

Jul 31, 2005
Townville, SC
well I have been doing some more research. I found a nice shay made by atlas in n scale but still looking for ho. the ones I have found are a little pricey for my budget at this point considering i am about to start remodeling the railroad room to look a little better when i put my layout in there. I thank all of yall for your help. I was also wondering I have not been able to raelly find a steam loco like the shay that is DCC. I was hoping intergrate that into my new layout. I dont know much about building a layout or how to ewire it but the DCC looked the easiest to understand. Is there anyway to make one of these little steam locos DCC or should I do another thought. Model the railroad to a latter period and use diesel like i had inherated this operation from him. A little stretch of imagination but oh well. I will let yall know when I find out more information on his railroad and logging operation I am still try to contact the elderly in the family to get information. and I thought I was just going to lay a circle down and run a train around it. I guess i have gotten the bug just like many generations of my family. Thanks again
Stephen