A Flextrack howto in the academy ?

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Would it be possible to have a thread w/ a rule that you share your opion about how to do flex and NOT about whether other peoples ideas of doing flex are right or wrong?

I'd love to see a thread w/ different methods and ideas (as long as no flame war starts, honest methods and ideas) because i'm planning my railroad :). I've played around w/ tracks and locos enough now to see that you folks here at the gauge really know your *&^%(stuff) and the more of i can absorb the better my railroading experience will be. :thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Again, I'd be more than happy to set something up in The Academy, or work on a "Flextrack Shop" thread in the Tutorial section...

So get going... send me your links (even if they are internal to The Gauge) or pictures, or descriptions, and let's put something together...! :thumb:

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
When soldering a full joiner, the only points being soldered is the outside edge of the rail
When soldering, the "work" must be hot enough to melt the solder. When it is, the solder will flow, both sides and full length of the rail joiner. A paste flux is recommended, as it cleans the joint, and keeps the track/joiner/solder, from oxidizing. The joint must be kept motionless untill the solder has cooled, motion, during cooling can crystalize the solder, and cause a weak bond.
Applying heat to both the rail, and the joiner, at the same time, on the , outside of the joint, and applying solder to the inside, helps the process.

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
I dont have the patience or the eyes for hand laid track.I think flex track is the sliced bread of the model train world. But then again just my thoughts.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
MasonJar said:
Again, I'd be more than happy to set something up in The Academy, or work on a "Flextrack Shop" thread in the Tutorial section...

So get going... send me your links (even if they are internal to The Gauge) or pictures, or descriptions, and let's put something together...! :thumb:

Andrew

I've read that when connecting flex track the best way is the "stagger" the rails by sliding one rail out of about 10 ties then sliding the connecting rail into those ties and attaching your joiner/solder at that joint. Pictures to follow.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Do Atlas and Peco want model railroaders to purchase their Flextracks ?
Obviously not because the info about that topic is scarce on Atlas website
http://www.atlasrr.com/superflex.htm
Just a louzy picture of their Super Saw lol

and NIL on Peco website.
Of course, Atlas and Peco makes more money by selling 1 yard of modular track than 1 yard of flextrack ...

I would be glad just to get a few detailed pictures of someone joining to flextrack sections in the middle of a curve. That operation seems Imho the most difficult for a newbie to grasp.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Squidbait said:
Of course the problem in getting it from here is that it doesn't come with the twenty-seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one....

;)

So Obie has come to the realization that this is a case of blind justice then?

You can get anything you want
(Except for Alice)
At Alice's Restaurant

:D

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, I too have found flextrack to be a mixed blessing. It can work very well once it's well set or well positioned. But I've found cutting and joining one piece of flextrack onto another to be really difficult. If two pieces of flextrack are improperly cut & joined, you'll get lots of derailments.

In the end, I've gone with a mixture of Peco flextrack and Atlas track (but not their switches!). My layout is small so it's not a major issue for me.

Rob

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Rob,
I've found that it does take a lot of care to measure exactly where I want to cut flex track sometimes but once I know where to cut I can't say enough good things about a Xuron cutting tool and a small file to make sure connections are flush.
Ralph

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
The ideal howto imho would be made by some member of The Gauge and with plenty of pictures, The same high quality of howto we get from DoctorWayne , TomPM and Deano's "Easy weathering" tutorial.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ralph said:
Rob,
I've found that it does take a lot of care to measure exactly where I want to cut flex track sometimes but once I know where to cut I can't say enough good things about a Xuron cutting tool and a small file to make sure connections are flush.
Ralph

Thanks, Ralph. Yes, I agree, that once flextrack is cut and properly placed it works extremely well. Even Atlas flextrack isn't that bad although it's weaker and not as well made as the much superiour Peco flextrack!

I usually cut my flextrack with a small saw made by Atlas -- but it would be better to have a better quality saw. Being in a rush is usually my problem as I usually have a limited window in the evenings (after the kids are asleep) when I can work on my layout -- at least that's my excuse!!

Rob