A fishing line waterfall

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
This waterfall is at the end of a canal in an industrial scene on my layout. Following a technique I remembered seeing in an issue of Model Railroader, I cut a piece of thin plexiglass to fit the waterfall area and wrapped transparent fishing line tightly around it, cementing the ends of the line to the back of the glass. I then glued the wrapped plexiglass in place, put cotton ball fiber at the bottom to represent churning water, and then applied several coats of acrylic gloss medium, letting it flow down the vertical falls.

The canal was made from a masonite base coated with joint compound and stipled wtih a damp sponge when wet to create ripples and waves. I colored the "water" with Woodland Scenes Stone Gray pigment unduluted right out of the bottle. Gloss medium added the sheen here as well.
Ralph

Attachments

• falls.jpg
    falls.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 375

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That looks great Ralph!
I remember that MR article too...
I'm pbobably going to try something like this too, since I have a couple of places on the layout for waterfalls.
Thanks for sharing! :cool:

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Great waterfall Ralph!, I also remember the MR article and it is good to see another of these ideas and tips put to good use. :)
I forgot all about it and now that you have shown it on your layout, I now have another scenery idea for my oNeTrak bridge module ;)
Cheers!

Terry