A few weathered freightcars...

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by doctorwayne, Jan 14, 2007.

1. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

that are seldom run, as they're a bit too modern for my '30's-era layout. All of them are from Train Miniature, and are probably still available from Walthers. The first four cars were done many years ago, and have gone through several "upgrades". 8927 displays the wire grabirons, which were added several years after the car was first painted. All of the cars are painted with Floquil paints, with dry transfer lettering. This car had a different style of numerals than some of the others, so I used a bit of masking tape to "lift" them, then re-applied the correct style. There's a ghost image of some of the original numbers still showing.
    The area under the slogan, on the right side, was formerly occupied by a so-called consolidated stencil, or COTS, applied as a decal. Because this was too new for even the 1950's era, in which I occasionally operate, I used a chisel blade in my X-Acto to scrape off the decal, leaving a sharply demarcated area with no weathering. The spray was used to soften the transition, and could represent a repair. This car, similar the the next three, was weathered with very thin washes of Polly S (not Polly Scale) paints, mostly in varying shades of black, then sprayed along the lower edge, using an airbrush, with dust and grime (various combinations of colours left-over from other paint jobs, severely thinned).
    [​IMG]

8935 was painted and lettered at the same time, then later upgraded with metal steps and grabirons. After touch-up with a brush in those areas, the car, which had been weathered with washes of Polly S, was re-weathered with an airbrush. I used a "mask", cut from cereal box cardboard, to spray the rivet lines. Basically, it's a sheet of thin cardboard, larger than the carside, with inverted "Vees" cut in the bottom edge, with the same spacing as the seam lines. Simply hold it in position, ( not right against the car - the farther away, the softer the separation ) and spray. You can use these "masks" for any steel house car, but you'll need to make one to suit each individual car, as the panel sizes vary from car to car. Label each one so you don't have trouble finding the correct one. Sometimes, more than one style of car can be done with the same mask. You can use the same technique for doing the "splash" on car ends, and one size will fit all cars.:thumb:
    [​IMG]

8936 has been touched-up in several areas, using an airbrush. I used a piece of paper as a masking device, holding it slightly away from the car as I sprayed. This softens the edges, and as you can see, left some overspray along the bottom edge of the slogan.
    [​IMG]

8932 was re-numbered, with the old lettering simply wiped off with a little methyl hydrate on a rag. This removed most of the "ghost" of the previous lettering, and the new numbers were applied right over the "dirt". In addition to some spray touch-ups, I also added the black patch and the bearing repacking data on it.
    [​IMG]

The last car, 8940, was repainted from another roadname fairly recently, and the paint is not quite the same shade of orange. The grabirons had been replaced before and all of the lettering was applied at the same time, so there's not much variation in the weathering, which was all done with an airbrush. The cardboard mask was used on the rivet seams. This car did not receive a wash of Polly S.
    [​IMG]

Wayne
  2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Outstanding!!!

WOW!!!:eek: Folks, THIS is one reason why Wayne is the Mod for this section of the forums:thumb:. Wayne, the weathering on those cars is NOTHING short of STUPENDOUS!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wayne, i have a request, would you PLEASE rename this thread to something more general? this way you could add ALL your posted weatherings to it:thumb: OUTSTANDING JOB!, cant wait to see more of your weatherings;) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:. THANKS!:D -Deano
  3. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Fantastic job of weathering, Wayne !!! Those are bee-u-tee-ful........

Bob :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, GREAT WEATHERING WAYNE, LOVE IT :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Nice looking reefers Wayne!

Thanks for answering the question (I didn't ask ;)) about the COTS - I assume that is the black patch on cars with mostly unreadable information (at least in HO scale). I will have to remove it from a couple of gondolas.

The other question I have is do you happen to have a model of CN's "experimental" reefer that had the aluminum paint and black lettering? They apparently tried this in the early 1930's on a few cars. Didn't work out - at least in terms of keeping the car cooler - so they repainted them in the mid-1930's when they repainted all their reefers in "box car" red.

Thanks.

Andrew
  6. iis612

iis612 Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: OUTSTANDING!!!
    There is some huge talent I have seen between your work (Wayne) and Deano
    The technique you described with the cereal box V is something that I had not read about anywhere!!

I would love to see more of your work :)
  7. doctorwayne

Thanks for the positive reception to the photos, folks. :)
    iis612, the "cereal box" and "sheet of paper" tricks are easy to make and use, and when I'm able to more easily view and retrieve new photos from my camera, I may try to show their use.
    Andrew, I don't have any of the early CNR "aluminum" reefers, but I believe that two were painted as such in 1933, and repainted boxcar red in 1935.
    I model the "late '30's", although I'm not a real stickler about it. My TH&B USRA boxcars, rebuilds from the NYC, and among my favourites, didn't exist until 1940 or '41, and I run more than a few CNR boxcars with the white version of the Maple Leaf herald, which was first used in 1942.

Wayne
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Wayne,

Thanks. I hope to add one, just to have something different. I am also approaching my timeframe as "between the wars", although if pushed, I'll narrow it to about 1923 (all major pieces of CNR in place), and 1939 (start of WW2 for Canada - as opposed to 1941 for the US).

I have another question for you though - please check your PM!

Andrew
  9. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Wayne...
    beautiful work!:thumb: :thumb: and letting us in on the process is a huge help!
    Your recent posts in this and the "trackside industries..." forum have been nothing short of a revelation. I hope you realize just how valuable the info and techniques you share are to soooooo many of us out here.
    Thank you
  10. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Boy those are good looking!!! Really great work Wayne. I admire your attention to detail. The trucks and wheels are just perfect.
  11. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great looking reefers, Wayne!:thumb: :thumb:
  12. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Wayne:wave:, I'm REALLY dieing to see some more of those "weathering works of art" you have:D:D:D. I find YOUR weatherings to be VERY INSPIRATIONAL!:thumb:(and just plain beautiful to look at;)). so what do ya say Wayne, how posting a few more:thumb:. BTW, GLAD to hear you got a NEW computer and monitor!:thumb: it was about time to put that old "steam powered monitor" out on the dead line;). sign1
    THANKS!:D -Deano
  13. doctorwayne

Thanks, Dean, always glad to oblige a friend.:thumb:

This one's an extensively reworked Train Miniature USRA doublesheathed boxcar. It was weathered using very heavily thinned washes of Polly S, and when that had dried, some airbrushing completed the job. I did three of these; I think this one is in the middle of the weathering scale of the three.:)
    [​IMG]

The ends are from Tichy, and I used the "splash" mask, that I spoke of earlier, to do the wheel spray on the car ends.
    [​IMG]

Here's another
    [​IMG]

This Pennsy X-29, also from TM, was done using the same techniques.
    [​IMG]

Another TM, this time only airbrush weathering
    [​IMG]

Another Pennsy, this one's a re-worked ConCor. Airbrush only:
    [​IMG]

This is an Accurail USRA doublesheathed car, airbrush only
    [​IMG]

A modified Accurail singlesheathed car, airbrush only - I'm not totally satisfied with the way wooden-sided cars turn out for me.
    [​IMG]

A scratchbuilt Fowler Patent boxcar conversion. The spills on the roof were done with a brush, all the rest with an airbrush. The flux dust is so fine that it seeps by the door seals.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Accurail, airbrush only
    [​IMG]

TM, airbrushed using the boxboard rivet seam masks
    [​IMG]

Accurail, airbrush only
    [​IMG]

These covered hoppers (EG&E are from Bowser, the GILX are MDC) were brush-weathered for the spills, then airbrushed for the rest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The B&A and DSS&A boxcars were lettered with Champ decals; all of the other cars got dry transfer lettering from C-D-S.
    I have hundreds more, but this should be enough for now. (Thanks for asking, Dean.) :wink:

Wayne
  14. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Outstanding!!!

WOW WAYNE!!!:eek: when you come through, YOU REALLY COME THROUGH!!!:thumb::D
    TRULY OUTSTANDING WORK!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i REALLY LIKED ALL OF THEM(VERY INSPIRING:thumb:), but those Gern hoppers knocked my socks off!:D and as an added bonus, we got to see some more of your FANTASTIC LAYOUT!!!:thumb::D THANKS WAYNE!!!:D -Deano
  15. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Wayne...
    As Deano would say: that is "SLAP" AWESOME!!! my apologies to DEANO:oops: :D
  16. Jeffs_Railroad

Jeffs_Railroad Member

Wayne, what a terrific job!! I am just starting out and will be viewing and reading what you pros do and when appropriate will be asking questions.
  17. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Steve:wave:, i in-fact WOULD have said that(and MORE:D), THUS, NO APOLOGIES NECESSARY!:thumb::D :D-Deano
  18. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

i thought this thread needed a "bump" back up to the top:winki: , LOTS of AWESOME work here to see :bravo: .
    :deano: -Deano
  19. doctorwayne

Thanks for the kind words, Deano.

Wayne
  20. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Thanks for the bump, Deano...Don't know how I missed it the first time around....:cry:
    Doctor...That's just GREAT modelling. It's an aspect I haven't really dug my teeth into....Guess it's time to get the ol' airbrush out and see how much damage I can do...:mrgreen:
    Keep feeding our hungry minds..!!:thumb: