A few pieces...

doctorwayne

of non-revenue equipment. These are the kinds of cars that almost everyone has, but almost no one runs. :rolleyes: Such as...

a 250 ton Bucyrus-Erie wreck crane. I picked up this one on the "used" table at the LHS. I think it's by either Bachmann or Model Power. I added a few details to backdate it a bit, then built the boom car to go with it from an Athearn 50' flatcar. The flatcar got a scratchbuilt wooden deck, plus some low sides with equipment boxes and a small carbody for tool storage, built from styrene.
2007-01-10_112.jpg

2007-01-10_111.jpg

2007-01-10_110.jpg

or a 120 ton Industrial Brownhoist version. This one, also riding the Lowbanks turntable, is a modified Tichy model. The boom idler car was built from an Athearn 40' flatcar, modified similarily to 166A.
2007-01-10_106.jpg

2007-01-10_105.jpg

2007-01-10_104.jpg

This American derrick is an unpowered Walthers model that's been modified to make it appear similar to a crane where I used to work. The large reel on the side of the boom is for a magnet cable, not yet installed. The boom car, another Athearn 50'-er, has a wooden deck and new low sides.
2007-01-10_107.jpg

2007-01-10_108.jpg

Jordan spreader 156 is making a rare mainline appearance in Elfrida, rare because the wing plows, even unextended, tend to hit all sorts of lineside details. Besides ditching and roadbed grooming, this spreader is a key piece of snow-fighting equipment. Its well-kept appearance is testament to the weather-proof qualities of the layout room. :rolleyes: :D
2007-01-10_118.jpg

Here she is at rest, just outside of the carshops at Lowbanks. Too wide to fit through the doorway, her usual parking spot is behind the loco shop, just north of the crane runway.
2007-01-10_119.jpg

With the left wing-plow blades extended, the operating cylinders and pistons can be seen, along with some of the machinery under the walkway.
2007-01-10_121.jpg

And finally, an overhead view.
2007-01-10_122.jpg

If anybody would like to add pictures of their own non-revenue equipment to this thread, you're more than welcome.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Wayne:wave:, FANTASTIC JOB on those cranes:thumb: :thumb: the Jordan spreader is just SLAP AWESOME!!!:eek: OUTSTANDING WORK, AS ALWAYS WAYNE!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D -Deano

cn nutbar

h doc---almost makes you want to have a wreck so you can get this equipment in action---maybe it's time to get out #27

doctorwayne

cn nutbar said:
h doc---almost makes you want to have a wreck so you can get this equipment in action---maybe it's time to get out #27

Almost...but not quite.;) By the way, it's the 26 that's the so-called bad luck engine. For the uninformed, this loco derailed a couple of times during our last get-together, mostly due to a careless switchman:eek:ops: . On an earlier occasion, she ran through an open switch near Mercury Mills in Dunnville. That accident was also attributed to the same unamed, and soon to be un-employed, switchman:eek:ops: . Witnesses say that the loco was travelling light, at well over the posted speed limit, and that it was the switchman's grandson at the throttle.:rolleyes: The derailment put the loco and tender on their side, and spilled the loose coal that was in the tender.
The 26's greatest adventure, though, was her attempt to take a loaded 12 car coal train, plus another loco and a caboose, across the lift-out at the layout room doorway. Unfortunately, the lift-out was lifted-out. Number 26 hit the concrete floor three feet below, leaving the second loco hanging out over the abyss, held back only by the 100 ounce weight of the trailing train. The damage was a broken drawbar mounting pin, plus a couple of wires pulled from the plug between the loco and tender. Externally, there was no evidence of the mishap.
Here's a shot of the 26 at the Lowbanks shops, after her repairs.
100_53881.JPG

And a couple of in-service views:
2007-01-10_390.jpg

2007-01-10_391.jpg

2007-01-10_412.jpg

Wayne

Nazgul

Wayne
Number 26 is not UNlucky...
It has to be the luckiest engine in the history of railroading...after contending with various "operator errors"...it plummets a scale 261' onto solid concrete and shows no external damage!
I say....."Long Live the Mighty 26...the luckiest engine of all time!":thumb: :)

oldtanker

Great pictures and great work, loved the cranes and am planning on one for my layout, just a bit more modren.....the spreader is fantastic.

Rick