shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by interurben
He shows the film to the music of Coranation Street!!!:p :thumb:

Doobie Brothers' "Long Train Runnin'"

Johnnie Cash's "Folsom Prison"

Arlo Guthrie's "City of New Orleans"

Gonna hafta take a poll I guess, but one of those tunes will be the background music to my video.

Maybe Ozzie Osborne's "Crazy Train"?...Not!

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Here is one idea I had as far as looking over the top or along the side. Make sure that you position the camera and mirror so that when viewed it isn't apparent that you are looking at a mirror. Also that it clears all your underpasses/overpasses :confused: and tunnels. :eek: :eek: :D :D
Sorry for the crude drawing. :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 172

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by Pitchwife
shaygetz, My vote is for "City of New Orleans"
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I dunno...I can scrounge up the 15 weary passengers, 3 conductors and 25 sacks of mail but I only gots 4 passenger cars...sigh;)

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
The Showing

When i walked in the club tonight he was showing it off at the club. I was quite impressed. I noticed you could hear the clickety clack a little with the sound turned up enough. Very good job.:thumb: :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Clark-I'm a closet rivet counter, I don't know if I could do less than 15 cars without breaking out in hives:rolleyes:

Thanks, Jake. It really was neat. With the mike, the hollow sound of the dummy loco rattled much like an empty boxcar.

Some other observations---

-While it did make a really effective sound of wailing steel and brakes, the camera would produce feedback when it got within 15 feet of the monitor.

-There was some interference on screen, possibly from the pushing loco hitting dirty rails. Next time I'll place 5-6 "idler" cars between the two and see if that helps. All in all, it was still a very good picture.

-The tilt of the camera should be between 2-5 degrees downward. At 5, like mine, the sense of mass was almost perfect, but some folks wanted a better view of their passing equipment, so a 2-3 dgree tilt might work better for that kind of viewing.

-Yes, I put a little LPB in an LPA on a crossing and yes it was very effective, almost surreal.:D ;) :rolleyes:

-Passing opposing trains was too cool, especially those with working number boards and sound.

If you can put off that new Atlas or Kato release, this was well worth the money.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I forgot...on our club layout, we have grade crossings that are tripped by the locos or by resistors installed on the car axles. The sensors are set about 4 feet from the crossing. I was all but bouncing off the walls when I noticed that you could see the crossings start flashing off in the distance as I approached them. You could also see the stop lights changing in town in the distance as well as the dwarf signals on the mainline turnouts. The next run night I plan to run solely "from the cab", taking sidings while one of the members sets the switches.

My goal is to eventually have the 4 camera system, installing two cameras in the forward and rearward cabs of an MU set and the other two facing forward and rearward in the cupola of a caboose. Add a "brakeman", "fireman" and "conductor" and it would be possible to pull a scheduled run without ever taking the helicopter view of the layout again.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Some other, other observations...

---Ran it on another club layout and confirmed my suspicions about the interference being caused by the pushing locomotive. In short---yes---the picture is affected by the locomotive doing the pushing. It appears that the better quality locos with nickle-silver wheelsets; Atlas, Kato, etc., have little or no effect at all on the picture. My Athearn, though remotored and regeared, still sports it's sintered iron wheelsets. The nicklesilver ones, courtesy of NWSL, are on the way:eek:ops: :D

---Placing one or two empty flatcars in front of the camera and then a caboose for rearward perspective or a string of other cars for a forward perspective, gave a fascinating "hobo's" view of the train. Kinda felt like Ernest Borginine or Lee Marvin in "The Emperor of the North". :thumb:

A Camera for all scales or gauges

I don't want to use this message board as a commercial for my products. I thought that the fastest way to answer some of the questions posted about the WirelessMicroColorCam was to address them here.

1. The system will work on ALL Scales even "Z".
If you use a droped center flatcar on "N" and "Z" it makes the camera more stable because the center of gravity is lower.

2. In "HO" and larger scales you can mount the camera and battery inside a Dummy engine and push it with a powered unit.

There is a difference in the systems you see advertised on the market.

The WirelessMicroColorCam System that we sell is a first quality unit. It operates between 900 mHz and 1.2 gHz. The power output on the system without sound is 200 milliwatts. The power output on the system with sound is 50 milliwatts. We test all of our systems before shipping. We service what we sell and we are an American company. We provide a 1 year warranty on all of our product line.

Some of the other systems are not first quality and may not perform up to specifications. The 2.4 gHz systems on the market have a maximum transmit power output of 10 milliwatts and are more subject to interference of surrounding objects.

K-Line sells a camera car which is based on the X-10 technology and is only suited for "O" scale or larger.

Bottom line. There are a lot of similar products on the market. Becarefull with your purchases. You may not be getting what you think.

I am available to answer any of your questions so please feel free to ask them. We have a lot of experience in the use of cameras on model trains so ask away.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hi Shaygetz,, I have to decide how I want it mounted I like what you did , I would have to scratch build a Powered box motor or mount it on a flat freight car.

btw I have two of them, I returned the first as it was not picking up the signal. Then it got lost in transit .. the guy sent me one anyway, then the lost one it came back to me:rolleyes: Emailed him and sent it off again! three weeks later I get another.Now normaly I would send that one back,,, but by now I am loseing out on postage!!!
So there you have it one to place around the lay out, and one to ride the rails.:rolleyes:

Two cams? Hey Chris, howabout one for and one aft, loco cab view, then you can put a throttle in a curtained off area and let one engineer run from the 1:1 perspective :D

Great poject guys! I love it!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I don't care. Gotta have one. NOW.... Is there a mailorder somewhere? How can I get one from Australia?

NOW NOW NOW.... can't wait any longer!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

One with the picture and sound. (or maybe two!!)

Anyone hung it out the side of a boxcar, up the rear of the train, looking forward, around the inside curve?

Oh..... a question. Does the reciever plug into the AV plug of the tele, or do you need to tune a channel in? Also, is the TV picture switchable between NTSC (North America system) and PAL (the rest of the world, except the French and Japanese, and maybe a cuppla South American tin pot dictatorships :eek: :eek: :p )

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He shows the film to the music of Coranation Street!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doobie Brothers' "Long Train Runnin'"

Johnnie Cash's "Folsom Prison"

Arlo Guthrie's "City of New Orleans"

Gonna hafta take a poll I guess, but one of those tunes will be the background music to my video.

Maybe Ozzie Osborne's "Crazy Train"?...Not!

I'd go with Neil Young's "Southern Pacific". :D :D :D :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by CCT70
I'd go with Neil Young's "Southern Pacific". :D :D :D :D

Ahhh....but you musta forgot ole Neil made us Southern folk mad ;) :p :D

Woodie, I don't think it's VHS/PAL dependant although I would check with them first. You do need a pair of RCA type jacks to hook it up in your TV. I had to pick up an RF Modulator to hook it up to my older TV.

Astralia, Availability

Currently, we do not accept credit card orders from outside the United States. If you would like to order, click on the Questions link on the web site and send an email with your order requirements and shipping address and I will reply with a price quote. Payment should be an international postal money order payable in US funds. We are looking into online international orders but it is not ready at this time.

My first train cam used an X10 wireless camera and was fixed to a couple of flat cars;
DSCF1350.sized.jpg

My new one is quite a bit smaller and this is one solution to the problem of following the train tracks;
newtraincam.jpg

A better solution is of course independent control of panning such as this work in progress;
TurretCam003.sized.jpg

I have a couple of videos that were taken with the X10 and they are BIG I have also added a couple of smaller ones that might be the incentive you need to avoid wasting time on the big ones. If you have a dialup connection the wait is not worth it, they aren't that good.

I have posted these links on the Gauge before, sorry I don't have new stuff.

click for 7 meg download - CP triple header

click for 6 meg download - Shay meets Climax

click for 50 meg download - Auggie's new Shay

click for 35 meg download - Highballin' Diesel
click on the above links at your peril!