A day in the CN yard

Got a couple of nice pictures this weekend at the yard around the corner from my house!
God I love this town! So mant choo- choos sign1

This was just rebuilt by Alco Locomotive works;

train1005.jpg

Snow jet for thawing out switches

train1003.jpg

A trackmobile!

train1001.jpg

David

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is'nt the trackmobile used by industries if they don't spend the bucks on locos to do their switching? I've come across 5-6 when in the midwest during the summer doing the switching for grain facilities (the smaller ones)

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Neat photo's of seldom seen equipment. That snow jet reminds me of a truck mounted jet engine that I came across in Turkmenistan (former Soviet Union) North of Iran. The engine was mounted crosswise on the truck and used for blowing debris off of the taxiways and runways at the airport.

trackmobile

n2trains said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is'nt the trackmobile used by industries if they don't spend the bucks on locos to do their switching? I've come across 5-6 when in the midwest during the summer doing the switching for grain facilities (the smaller ones)

Thats right! CN uses it instead of a loco to shuttle cars around the yard. I was told that it can move up to 20 fully loaded cars.

David

dsfraser

May 13, 2004
NREX 1284 has an interesting history. Delivered as UP 1229 (SW9) it was rebuilt into an SW10 and renumbered as UP 1284, then sold to CP as CP 1284 and finally to NRE.