A community project

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ashrunner, Apr 15, 2007.

1. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Working Out Scale

Working out the scale isn't that difficult (especially if you're using a 2D computer design program).

For instance, the actual wingspan of the Skymaster is listed as 38' 2". Just convert that all to inches (four hundred and fifty-eight) and then divide by the scale you want to use. :idea:

For 1/25 scale that works out to be 18.32 inches for the total wingspan.

This is the method I would use (although it's not necessarily the only one).

Terry
  2. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Working Out Scale

Working out the scale isn't that difficult (especially if you're using a 2D computer design program).

For instance, the actual wingspan of the Skymaster is listed as 38' 2". Just convert that all to inches (four hundred and fifty-eight) and then divide by the scale you want to use. :idea:

For 1/25 scale that works out to be 18.32 inches for the total wingspan.

This is the method I would use (although it's not necessarily the only one).

Terry
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I think 1/24th scale for an aircraft where detail is limited is too much. A scale of 1/33 might be better. I am a small scale fan myself. But on this aircraft my opinion is no smaller than 1/48th or larger than 1/33rd. Anyone wanting to build bigger can always upscale...and smaller, down scale.

As for the drawings, I haven't found a lot of good drawings for this aircraft. Besides, one of the things about designing models is figuring out aircraft design from limited drawings. I know its possible...and I have a good idea of how to do it, but putting my idea into action will have to wait until I return from Texas in two weeks.

By then I hope we have gotten past the scale/drawings stage and are in the parts designing stage 8v)

Any one else have any thoughts on scale?
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I think 1/24th scale for an aircraft where detail is limited is too much. A scale of 1/33 might be better. I am a small scale fan myself. But on this aircraft my opinion is no smaller than 1/48th or larger than 1/33rd. Anyone wanting to build bigger can always upscale...and smaller, down scale.

As for the drawings, I haven't found a lot of good drawings for this aircraft. Besides, one of the things about designing models is figuring out aircraft design from limited drawings. I know its possible...and I have a good idea of how to do it, but putting my idea into action will have to wait until I return from Texas in two weeks.

By then I hope we have gotten past the scale/drawings stage and are in the parts designing stage 8v)

Any one else have any thoughts on scale?
  5. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Why Suggest 1/33 Then? - Not Much Difference!

Maybe 1/48 then?:yep:

Terry
  6. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Why Suggest 1/33 Then? - Not Much Difference!

Maybe 1/48 then?:yep:

Terry
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Here is a scale thought, the finished model will be available in every scale common to models out there, no resizing needed.

from 1:16 down to 1:250 or 1:400

but I think I will be voted down on this one, but I thought it would be a cool option.

Rick
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Here is a scale thought, the finished model will be available in every scale common to models out there, no resizing needed.

from 1:16 down to 1:250 or 1:400

but I think I will be voted down on this one, but I thought it would be a cool option.

Rick
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I kinda support 1/48 for this one, and wouldn't mind doing it in other scales. I would say though larger scales wil be more accurate.
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I kinda support 1/48 for this one, and wouldn't mind doing it in other scales. I would say though larger scales wil be more accurate.
  11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

For this model, a scale of 1/48 will give it a length of just under 7.5 inches (18.89 cm) and a wingspan of just over 9.5 inches (24.22 cm).

1/33 scale gives a length of a little under 11 inches (27.48 cm) and a span of slightly under 14 inches (35.24 cm).

My preference is 1/48 scale. It's a more manageable size of a model for parts placement on a grid designed to fit both Letter and A4 stock.

During the layout process, care can be taken to allow for half page prints to upscale the design for the build process.
  12. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

For this model, a scale of 1/48 will give it a length of just under 7.5 inches (18.89 cm) and a wingspan of just over 9.5 inches (24.22 cm).

1/33 scale gives a length of a little under 11 inches (27.48 cm) and a span of slightly under 14 inches (35.24 cm).

My preference is 1/48 scale. It's a more manageable size of a model for parts placement on a grid designed to fit both Letter and A4 stock.

During the layout process, care can be taken to allow for half page prints to upscale the design for the build process.
  13. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

This is what the plane looks like in 1/48 scale (though I wouldn't mind having the one in the background!) My inspiration(s) for the version I started.

Scott K.
  14. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

This is what the plane looks like in 1/48 scale (though I wouldn't mind having the one in the background!) My inspiration(s) for the version I started.

Scott K.
  15. airbob

airbob Member

1:33 or 1:48 would be fine.....can we use the cone design programs...like Siatki from the Digital Navy:oops: ....I would be willing to try some assignment from the supreme poopaw!:twisted: ....need some help in the fuselage sections?.....
  16. airbob

airbob Member

1:33 or 1:48 would be fine.....can we use the cone design programs...like Siatki from the Digital Navy:oops: ....I would be willing to try some assignment from the supreme poopaw!:twisted: ....need some help in the fuselage sections?.....
  17. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Okay...it seems to have worked itself out. The scale of 1/48 will be the goal.

As for the next stage of this project...it will have to be one which governs itself. I leave Tuesday evening for a 10 day visit to San Antonio. Gonna take a vacation from my vacation 8v)

AirBob...if you're willing to tackle the fuselage section, please do. Would anyone want to work on the engine area? the booms? the wings? the tail wings? the gear?

Those of you designing sections, remember...I would like this to be a teaching thread, so please post your designing process with hopefully illustrations for everyone to learn from.

I'll try to drop in now and then during my trip, but the main goal of the trip in birds and bugs and aircraft photography. Speaking of which, I have added an Aircraft set to my Flickr photo collection. If you're interested in seeing mostly civil aircraft from this area, you can find the collection at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashrunner/

So let's make a Skymaster! By the way, there is no reason someone else can't work on fuselage sections or whatever. The more varied the styles of designs which appear, the better this "school" will be.
  18. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Okay...it seems to have worked itself out. The scale of 1/48 will be the goal.

As for the next stage of this project...it will have to be one which governs itself. I leave Tuesday evening for a 10 day visit to San Antonio. Gonna take a vacation from my vacation 8v)

AirBob...if you're willing to tackle the fuselage section, please do. Would anyone want to work on the engine area? the booms? the wings? the tail wings? the gear?

Those of you designing sections, remember...I would like this to be a teaching thread, so please post your designing process with hopefully illustrations for everyone to learn from.

I'll try to drop in now and then during my trip, but the main goal of the trip in birds and bugs and aircraft photography. Speaking of which, I have added an Aircraft set to my Flickr photo collection. If you're interested in seeing mostly civil aircraft from this area, you can find the collection at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashrunner/

So let's make a Skymaster! By the way, there is no reason someone else can't work on fuselage sections or whatever. The more varied the styles of designs which appear, the better this "school" will be.
  19. airbob

airbob Member

Ash,
    I envy you going to San Antonio....you've got to get the breakfast tacos at the local restaurante ,the kind with bacon,potato, and eggs.....ummmm, we were stationed there from 1984-1988....and get the real huevous rancheos....man talking about this stuff is getting me depressed!:cry: ...have a great time!!!:rofl:
  20. airbob

airbob Member

Ash,
    I envy you going to San Antonio....you've got to get the breakfast tacos at the local restaurante ,the kind with bacon,potato, and eggs.....ummmm, we were stationed there from 1984-1988....and get the real huevous rancheos....man talking about this stuff is getting me depressed!:cry: ...have a great time!!!:rofl: