A community project

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ashrunner, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I had an idea Saturday afternoon...a strange idea for everyone. 8v)

First of all, this is not a contest. It's a community project, in which everyone and anyone can participate. What is it? Well, it's a cardmodel community design of an aircraft...a Cessna 337 Skymaster to be exact. I would like it to be a learning thread for anyone interested in model design. For that reason, the following rules will apply.

1 - NO 3D program designed parts will be allowed. All parts must be done without the aid of Metasequioia, or Rhino 3D, or any of the many 3D programs available.
    2 - Parts uploaded by the community should be uploaded to this thread and contain a description of how the part was drawn and what makes it correctly drawn.
    3 - Do not lock any part uploaded. The part needs to be available to everyone participating.
    4 - Name the part based on the agreed to nomenclature to be determined later.

I have included here, a file containing information on the Skymaster and a 3-view drawing. The drawing does not have cross sections, but is fairly accurate based on my research. Several members have mentioned that they can determine cross sections based on accurate three-view drawings. This will be there opportunity to show the community how its done.

I believe the project should progress in stages with a list of objectives to be accomplished before the community publicly moves on to the next objective. A simplified objective list looks like this, but it is subject to change -- majority rules 8v)

a - create cross sections
    b - break aircraft down into sections, i.e. wings, booms, gear, etc
    c - design each section
    d - paint model

The community should discuss and agree on a complete objective list and other factors, such as scale and detail before proceeding. This list can be amended as the design progresses. As for detail, since this is to be a learning process, detail should be minimal.

As for the scheme of the aircraft, it can be any thing...the more the merrier. There are a number of photos of the Skymaster in civilian, government and military colors available online. Find the one you like and when that objective is reached, do it!

Remember...I would like this to be a teaching thread. Since I moderate this forum, it gives me the opportunity to monitor the inputs and should I find one not fitting the teaching process, I will delete the post. Removal will occur if I feel the part was designed by a 3D program, copied and uploaded as a technical drawing. A post can also be removed if there was no action after I have asked for a better description of the work done. I don't want to scare any possible participants, but I do want those who don't understand the model process, to get a good idea of how it's done.

I am going to let this thread proceed on its own for now, as I will be leaving for San Antonio, Texas this Wednesday. I should be able to monitor things from there, but if I don't find the time, I will have Rick Steffers keeping a watch on things in my absence.

Okay...time now for the first stage of this project...discussion...how does the majority of participants want to proceed?

The floor(s) are yours!
  2. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I had an idea Saturday afternoon...a strange idea for everyone. 8v)

First of all, this is not a contest. It's a community project, in which everyone and anyone can participate. What is it? Well, it's a cardmodel community design of an aircraft...a Cessna 337 Skymaster to be exact. I would like it to be a learning thread for anyone interested in model design. For that reason, the following rules will apply.

1 - NO 3D program designed parts will be allowed. All parts must be done without the aid of Metasequioia, or Rhino 3D, or any of the many 3D programs available.
    2 - Parts uploaded by the community should be uploaded to this thread and contain a description of how the part was drawn and what makes it correctly drawn.
    3 - Do not lock any part uploaded. The part needs to be available to everyone participating.
    4 - Name the part based on the agreed to nomenclature to be determined later.

I have included here, a file containing information on the Skymaster and a 3-view drawing. The drawing does not have cross sections, but is fairly accurate based on my research. Several members have mentioned that they can determine cross sections based on accurate three-view drawings. This will be there opportunity to show the community how its done.

I believe the project should progress in stages with a list of objectives to be accomplished before the community publicly moves on to the next objective. A simplified objective list looks like this, but it is subject to change -- majority rules 8v)

a - create cross sections
    b - break aircraft down into sections, i.e. wings, booms, gear, etc
    c - design each section
    d - paint model

The community should discuss and agree on a complete objective list and other factors, such as scale and detail before proceeding. This list can be amended as the design progresses. As for detail, since this is to be a learning process, detail should be minimal.

As for the scheme of the aircraft, it can be any thing...the more the merrier. There are a number of photos of the Skymaster in civilian, government and military colors available online. Find the one you like and when that objective is reached, do it!

Remember...I would like this to be a teaching thread. Since I moderate this forum, it gives me the opportunity to monitor the inputs and should I find one not fitting the teaching process, I will delete the post. Removal will occur if I feel the part was designed by a 3D program, copied and uploaded as a technical drawing. A post can also be removed if there was no action after I have asked for a better description of the work done. I don't want to scare any possible participants, but I do want those who don't understand the model process, to get a good idea of how it's done.

I am going to let this thread proceed on its own for now, as I will be leaving for San Antonio, Texas this Wednesday. I should be able to monitor things from there, but if I don't find the time, I will have Rick Steffers keeping a watch on things in my absence.

Okay...time now for the first stage of this project...discussion...how does the majority of participants want to proceed?

The floor(s) are yours!
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Good idea.

By not 3D, do you mean draw with a pencil/pen on paper then scanned onto computer or do you mean using a program like windows paint, then upload it to the thread.
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Good idea.

By not 3D, do you mean draw with a pencil/pen on paper then scanned onto computer or do you mean using a program like windows paint, then upload it to the thread.
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Fantastic idea Ashrunner! This could show us all how simple designing can be, or difficult if you want to see it that way. It will be interesting to see how many designers actually depend on 3d software to design with.

Designing with MS Paint is totally possible! Many designers use Corel, Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. Kind of a seperate the men from the boys thread if you ask me ( I know it was not (probably) intended that way, please take no offense).

Paul, I think he means, use no 3d software silly! but if you want to hand draw yours, I would love to see it.
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Fantastic idea Ashrunner! This could show us all how simple designing can be, or difficult if you want to see it that way. It will be interesting to see how many designers actually depend on 3d software to design with.

Designing with MS Paint is totally possible! Many designers use Corel, Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. Kind of a seperate the men from the boys thread if you ask me ( I know it was not (probably) intended that way, please take no offense).

Paul, I think he means, use no 3d software silly! but if you want to hand draw yours, I would love to see it.
  7. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

How Does 1/25 Scale Sound?

It's a small aircraft and that would allow the wings (and fuselage) to each fit on a page with room to spare.:yep:

Terry
  8. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

How Does 1/25 Scale Sound?

It's a small aircraft and that would allow the wings (and fuselage) to each fit on a page with room to spare.:yep:

Terry
  9. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Just to clarify things here; If I want I can use rhino but only the 2d drafting aspects of the program? I used to do it that way in acad before I got Rhino so this will be like old times.
  10. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Just to clarify things here; If I want I can use rhino but only the 2d drafting aspects of the program? I used to do it that way in acad before I got Rhino so this will be like old times.
  11. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thats why I asked about using pencil/pen and paper. Would it be cheating using 2d as that is still using a computer.

Is it to be designed by hand or is a computer allowed.

And what about a bigger scale. Say 1/24, sorry just saw earlier post. Why not even bigger.
  12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thats why I asked about using pencil/pen and paper. Would it be cheating using 2d as that is still using a computer.

Is it to be designed by hand or is a computer allowed.

And what about a bigger scale. Say 1/24, sorry just saw earlier post. Why not even bigger.
  13. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Clarification...use of 2D capabilities of programs is perfectly fine. I just want the actual design of the part to be something done without the use of a 3D graphics program and unfolding. In other words...no unfolded parts.

Like I said, this should be a teaching and learning process for everyone. I did all my designs in the 2D arena of TurboCAD and continue to design that way. I will admit I have run into some stumbling blocks and in the process of thinking about ways of doing the parts, I started to solidify this idea. I decided it was time to present the idea Saturday.

So to answer the question, if you want to use the 2D capability of Rhino...go for it, but take screen captures or something to show the how and why you did what you did. If you are more comfortable with pen and paper, and have a scanner, go that route.

But do make sure the input teaches something to reader. 46Rob's designing tutorial at Fiddlersgreen is a great tool. With the variety of designers which we have here, many other techniques abound.

My organizational skills have taken a hit since I retired from the Air Force 15 years ago, so I will admit I can be confusing. I take no offense in people asking questions about something I write. So if I'm not clear, please ask 8v)
  14. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Clarification...use of 2D capabilities of programs is perfectly fine. I just want the actual design of the part to be something done without the use of a 3D graphics program and unfolding. In other words...no unfolded parts.

Like I said, this should be a teaching and learning process for everyone. I did all my designs in the 2D arena of TurboCAD and continue to design that way. I will admit I have run into some stumbling blocks and in the process of thinking about ways of doing the parts, I started to solidify this idea. I decided it was time to present the idea Saturday.

So to answer the question, if you want to use the 2D capability of Rhino...go for it, but take screen captures or something to show the how and why you did what you did. If you are more comfortable with pen and paper, and have a scanner, go that route.

But do make sure the input teaches something to reader. 46Rob's designing tutorial at Fiddlersgreen is a great tool. With the variety of designers which we have here, many other techniques abound.

My organizational skills have taken a hit since I retired from the Air Force 15 years ago, so I will admit I can be confusing. I take no offense in people asking questions about something I write. So if I'm not clear, please ask 8v)
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

No using Rhino 3D?

I'm sorry Dave, I cannot let you do that.

Dave.

What are you doing, Dave?

Daisy, Daisy, give .. me .. your ............. an .................. sw ......... er ........ do .......................... .

[​IMG]
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

No using Rhino 3D?

I'm sorry Dave, I cannot let you do that.

Dave.

What are you doing, Dave?

Daisy, Daisy, give .. me .. your ............. an .................. sw ......... er ........ do .......................... .

[​IMG]
  17. MadProfessor

MadProfessor New Member

do you have some more pics? maybe i can try(with hand) but the scale will not be 1/24 i think. maybe anyone can tell me how the scaling(dont know how to say that) works?

EDIT: forgot about google :D
  18. MadProfessor

MadProfessor New Member

do you have some more pics? maybe i can try(with hand) but the scale will not be 1/24 i think. maybe anyone can tell me how the scaling(dont know how to say that) works?

EDIT: forgot about google :D
  19. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

This is very interesting, I just started gathering research material on this aircraft myself. I haven't actually started my drawings yet, but if I can contribute anything here, I will.

Scott K.
  20. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

This is very interesting, I just started gathering research material on this aircraft myself. I haven't actually started my drawings yet, but if I can contribute anything here, I will.

Scott K.