A Cold Storage Distribution Centre

GS4

World's Greatest Hobby
Jul 7, 2008
:wave:

Hi there fellow modellers,
I guess it's time that I show some of my modelling efforts. So I decideed to start with my Cold Storage Distribution Centre. It could also be used as an ordinary warehouse, just change the sign.
A front view
CSDC-27.jpg

A few close up shots
The lefthand end of the building - don't think these two old geezers know that the boss is at the other end of the building
CSDC.C.jpg

One of the freight doors
csdc4.jpg

Cleaning up the property
CSDC.D.jpg

The righthand end of tthe building - that's the boss talking to the foreman
CSDCB.1.jpg

A look along the tracks
cccsdc.6.jpg

and a view frm the opposite end
csdc3.jpg

A Cryogenic reefer full of frozen produce, is being spotted at the number 2 freight door
Spottingthecar.4.jpg

That's it for now, will post construction photos later

Cheers, Simon :thumb:

GS4

World's Greatest Hobby
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for the comments guys, they are much appreciated

Cheers, Simon

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Simon, you did a very nice job. Especially all the little details and scenes around your cold storage make it come alive. Show us more of your modeling :thumb:.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Very nice scene. The only question I have concerns the choice of building for cold storage. Out here metal buildings are used for relatively small industries like heavy equipment dealers, and such. A lot of the older wholesale produce warehouses are metal and will have walk in boxes back inside the dock for produce which needs to be kept under refrigeration. All of the cold storage warehouses that I've seen around So Cal are concrete tilt up construction. Are they different in your part of the country?

GS4

World's Greatest Hobby
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for the comments guys!!

Russ, I've no first hand knowledge of what tye of construction is used in the various parts of the USA, for the building of cold storage facilities, as I live in the City of Cape Town in South Africa.
The story behind my choosing to use a metal structure for the construction of a cold storage facility is as follows:-
W. Vester was looking for a place to build a cold storage facility in the City of Bolder Creek, in Oregon. Now like most investors, he was a frugal man, who checked both sides of a coin before spending it. He came across an unused warehouse, the building in question, and upon closer inspection, decided that it would be financially beneficial to convert the existing building, rather than to build from new. So the interior of the warehouse was rebuilt with with cold rooms made from the latest materials, with the refrigeration plants installed outside under cover for ease of maintenance or replacement. Which also explains why there are ventilators on the roof. They are left over from the original use of the warehouse and as mentioned before, W. Venter, being the frugal man that he is, did not see the sense in spending money to have them removed, so there they'll stay until who knows when.

Cheers, Simon

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Good one, Simon. I suspect a small cold storage plant would not be concrete tilt up since as far as I know that is an expensive method of construction. I see so many cold storage plants, dairies, and ice cream plants out here that are concrete tilt up that I sometimes forget that a small company might use a different form of construction. The concrete is preferred because it is a better insulator than metal, but I've worked at produce wholesalers who used a metal building with refrigerated spaces inside as well.

Dec 6, 2007
rbdhd.t35.com
Simon,
I really like what you have done here. I would like to know more about how you created the brick foundation of the building. Did you make it or use some styrene sheet?
Dave

GS4

World's Greatest Hobby
Jul 7, 2008
announce1

Hey there fellow modellers!!

Thank you all for the compliments, they are much appreciated.

Dave, the foundation brickwork is made from "Faller" 'N' scale printed card.

What follows is a photographic presentation of the project. Basically the structure consists of a balsawod core with Plastruc corrigated styrene sheeting glued onto the balsawood. The white edgings are Evergreen styrene angle strips. I almost forgot, the model is built in HO scale (3.5mm/ft --- 1/87th scale)
The raw materials
CSDC.jpg

Attaching the one end wall
CSDC-1.jpg

The other end wall
CSDC-2.jpg

The front wall
CSDC-4.jpg

Both doorways are cut out
CSDC-16.jpg

What a difference a coat of paint makes
CSDC-5.jpg

The next step is the making of the cargo doorways
The materials required
CSDC-17.jpg

Each weather diaphram consists of 30 parts
CSDC-7.jpg

CSDC-6.jpg

Door assembly
CSDC-8.jpg

The completed doorway
CSDC-10.jpg

CSDC-11.jpg

Some of the accessories
A refrigeration unit ( a Walthers roof top A/C)
CSDC-12.jpg

The security fence (from a Kibri fence kit)
CSDC-15.jpg

and finally the sign
CSDC-9.jpg

Now for some more progress shots
CSDC-20.jpg

CSDC-19.jpg

CSDC-18.jpg

With the backdrop in place
CSDC-26.jpg

CSDC-27.jpg

Preparing the base for scenicing
CSDC-25.jpg