A closer look at the layout.

Ray Marinaccio

Been making some progress on this layout.
It got put on the back burner for awhile to help get the club's modular layout completed.
We brought the smaller section to my house so I can do the rewiring in peace.
We found that in the years of storage the plaster scenery had dried to the point that it just crumbled when touched.
I experimented with soaking it with soapy water and applying a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. It worked great.
We have all the scenery stabilized on this section and plan to patch and touch up the color after the wiring is done.

Attachments

• Sep30$07.JPG
    Sep30$07.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Sep30$02a.jpg
    Sep30$02a.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Sep30$04a.jpg
    Sep30$04a.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 138

viperman

That is an impressive layout, very nice. I like the rugged scenery, bu think it could use a little bit of green to liven things up. Have you seen nazgul's layout? If not, you should check it out

doctorwayne

Looks good, Ray. I particularily like that structure in the last two pictures, and the very last one really fits in well with its background, except, of course, for the giant horses. :D

Wayne

shaygetz

It really looks great, like a time machine to another, more familiar era of model railroading to me. Kinda reminds me of Bill McClannahan's scenery work, I'm glad you've found a way to preserve it. I can almost see Lynn Westcott, John Allen and Witt Towers calling out their tab order system over the whine of Pittman powered lokeys, just too cool.:thumb:

Nazgul

Ray,
I think it is very fortunate that this layout found it's way into your very capable hands! it would have been sad to lose it.

It really looks great, like a time machine to another, more familiar era of model railroading to me
I could not agree more....It strikes a cord (even in a neophyte modeler)...like me:thumb:
and the natural lighting really makes it come alive

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yep, I'm very pleased that you got back on that. As said, it's in very capable hands.:thumb:

MilesWestern

The layout looks desolate and scary...maybe post apoctalypic even! :eek: Are you going to bring some life to it? (trains buildings PEOPLE, grass, trees?)

Ray Marinaccio

MilesWestern said:
The layout looks desolate and scary...maybe post apoctalypic even! :eek: Are you going to bring some life to it? (trains buildings PEOPLE, grass, trees?)

This section of the layout is more desolate than the others. Trees will be added and a bit of ground cover.
I am not going to be doing all the work on the layout. Plans are to get the junior members of the club involved. My son has already been tossing around some ideas for adding character to some areas.
One of the club members came over yesterday to see it and has offered some space in his 3 car garage to set the whole layout up as well as space to set up our club's modular layout between shows until we get a permanent clubhouse. Sounds promising.

Ray Marinaccio

I have installed legs, have the track rewired, cleaned and trains running on this section.
I removed the drawer under the benchwork that held the powerpack and power selectors.
I mounted the power selector switches on the fascia and will mount a transformer inside the benchwork with a tethered hand held transistor throttle.
I am also replacing the cardboard scenery supports with plywood.

Attachments

• Oct02$16.JPG
    Oct02$16.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Oct02$23.JPG
    Oct02$23.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Oct02$15.JPG
    Oct02$15.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Oct02$21.JPG
    Oct02$21.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 100

shaygetz

MilesWestern said:
The layout looks desolate and scary...maybe post apoctalypic even! :eek:

It does have a certain "Road Warrior" look to the landscape doesn't it?:thumb: It reminds me so much of a circa 50s-60s MR cover.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Those Acme controllers aren't ancient... We used one on the Merrickville club's raffle layout built this past summer...!

Andrew

Ray Marinaccio

I have the switch machines all wired and working.
I cut a rectangular hole in the fascia and mounted the Acme control panels into it. I scabbed a piece of 3/4" plywood behind it for re enforcement.
I glued in a piece of plywood in the gaping hole above the controllers and smoothed it out with plaster also.
I have started repairing the scenery also. Plaster was applied to the damaged areas and formed with a knife as it dried.
I used acrylic washes to blend in some color then added some ground foam for ground cover.
I have removed the cardboard supports from the other end to replace them with plywood.

Attachments

• Oct07$17.JPG
    Oct07$17.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Oct07$06.JPG
    Oct07$06.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Oct07$05.JPG
    Oct07$05.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Oct07$12.JPG
    Oct07$12.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 74

interurban

I`v been watching you and your son bring this back to live Ray.
You guys are certainly giving it a new lease of life.

Well done and also thanks for the tips along the way:thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

I've got the scenery supports and most of the scenery repaired, repaired the tunnel portals, put a sealer coat on the fascia, Added some more ground cover and a few trees.
I think repairing the bridge, adding some more trees and a few touch-ups to the landscaping will be it for this section.
The lighting in the workshop isn't that great so the photos aren't the best. I'll have to move it outside and get better photos when this section is done.

Attachments

• Oct11$03.JPG
    Oct11$03.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Oct11$04.JPG
    Oct11$04.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Oct11$07.JPG
    Oct11$07.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 71

Drew1125

This is agreat little project, Ray! :thumb:
I think I mentioned to you that it reminded me of one of Gordon Odegard's old features in MR...
Back in the 70's N scale was still in its infancy, & was kind of relegated to the category of "toy trains"...
Odegard though, was at the forefront of putting N scale on the map as a viable modeling scale...
It's great to see such a fine example of early N scale modeling, & it's great that you are preserving it! :thumb: