A closer look at the layout.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Robin,
I haven't counted the bridges yet , but there's a lot of them.
I have noticed a few that will need replaced.
The terrain sort of reminds me of the Achen Back mountains.

Attachments

• Jul09038.JPG
    Jul09038.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 576

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Jon,
The viaducts are an old Atlas product. This is all as it was when we got it.
The largest section is infact Susquhanna Valley Ry. from the Atlas Book Nine N scale Model Railroads. and it was added onto from there.

Attachments

• Jul09008.JPG
    Jul09008.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 573

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
My son and I tested the wiring today and to our amazement most of it works.
It's all wired using the Atlas common-rail method with Atlas selectors and controllers and mostly MRC powerpacks.
Switch machines are controlled by what looks to be the old Acme (no joke) switch controllers manufactured by the Acme Model Engineering Co. .
I remembered seeing their ads in the early 70s MR
Some connections will need to be cleaned and I want to replace the 2 cheaper trainset powerpacks to match the other 7 MRC powerpacks. I already have one I'll donate to the cause.
We did clean some track and ran a locomotive, but didn't clean enough track to run a complete circle.
It took a lot of rubbing with a Brightboy to get it clean so I suspect getting all the track clean will take awhile.
One of the first things to be done will probably be designing and building new legs. Then reinforcing the benchwork on the main section to eliminate a small amount of flexing that is causing some cracks in the scenery.
Some of the track work will need replaced where the sections joined. This shouldn't be a big deal.
Once that is done we can demonstrate working with plaster and other scenery techniques.
This layout brings back memories of Model Railroading in the 70s.

Attachments

• ACME0001.jpg
    ACME0001.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 285

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
My son and I tested the wiring today and to our amazement most of it works....
This layout brings back memories of Model Railroading in the 70s.
Ray,

That is an amazing layout for sure, and yes, I think a lot of work on it was done in the 70's. That is confirmed based on the cars and locos that were with it. I'm only guessing, but I doubt that it had trains run on it in at least ten years.

Sounds like you're making a lot of progress quickly. I hope you get at least one section working in time for the Prescott show in August. :thumb: :thumb: