A Bridge...Finished

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi guys...This thread resurrected...Yes, it is the CV kit and is 21" long..(Thanks for filling in, Wayne..). It's not difficult as such, but you do have to be careful as it involves a lot of cutting beams to the proper lengths. It's somewhat tedious as you're doing the same thing over and over...But once you geto over that stage, it goes fast and turns out really good.
Thanks for visiting...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The superstructure of the bridge is removeable for track cleaning, too, if you do that sort of thing. :D The instructions suggest that the diagonal braces be done using monofilament line, but I felt that this offered too much opportunity to distort the trusses. Instead, I used .015" piano wire, bent at the top end, then inserted ito a hole in the girder, with the bottom end sitting loose in place.
100_5814.jpg

Wayne

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Wayne is right...I used the monofilament line, and it did distort one of the trusses...It's barely noticeable, but if you put a straight edge to it, it is visible...

Wayne, did you put guard rails in yours..??

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I did put the guard rails in place, but because I used the bridge in conjunction with others, they extend the full length of the multiple spans.
Here's one end:
100_5715.jpg

And here's a view near the middle:
20032007089.jpg

Most of the pictures taken here are from a lower angle, so the guard rails seldom appear in photos. In person, they're very visible, as the layout height here is only about 36".

Wayne

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Thanks for the input, Wayne, That #4822 is some loco...!!!
I guess I'll put the guard rail in as well. I've got it all ready to glue in place - was just waiting your confirmation. Thanks.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
The bridge looks very good steamhead, nice work.
I'm modeling in N scale but I like to see what people who "graduated" in HO scale are doing.
How did you weathered the bridge: wash and / or dry brushing ?
Beware because DoctorWayne's bridge might steal the show :)

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Biased turkey said:
The bridge looks very good steamhead, nice work.
Beware because DoctorWayne's bridge might steal the show :)

That's certainly not my intention, :( as I think that Gus has done a great job on his bridge. Same bridge, different locales; totally different appearance.

Gus, I think that the guardrail does add to the appearance, but I have found that it's rather difficult to rerail errant wheels when they're on the bridge; too many rails to choose from, I guess. :rolleyes: By the way, the 4822 belongs to my friend cn nutbar. It's a Proto2000 unit, and that picture is the first one taken after I'd replaced the wheelsets because of the notorious "cracked gear" problem. (Runs great, now. :thumb: )

Wayne

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
steamhead said:
Hey...!!!

After 6+ weeks of messing with it...it's finally done...!!! The bridge bringing a life line to the El Diablo mine is now operational...!!!

Here are a few pics of it. Hope you like them...
Hey, Gus.
The bridge itself is nice, but you're missing something on the ground. A bridge would be mounted on concrete abutments, not just on the bare ground or bare rock. At one end would be a rigid connection, and at the other a roller support to handle expansion and contraction.

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
Very impressive bridge yea got! Micro Engineering is one of those kits that WILL take 6+ weeks to complete as well as ware on the patients!!!
Lookin' Good!
NCMR

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi guys,

Wayne, in one of many posts of your great railroad, I noted that that bridge was the only thing our layouts have in common...I can no more hope to match your modeling skills, than I have of jumping to the moon...
The weathering was done with an air brush, which looke quite good on the bench...but on the layout it's barely noticeable. I'll have to take some dry-brushing to it.
The bridge is mounted on "concrete", it's just that the bottom half, where the bridge rests on, I inadvertently painted a rock color...Guess I'll have to retouch that too...I'll skip the roller part...
It's a Central Valley kit, and it does take some time to build, but not too trying on the patience. You'll be glad you spent the time and patience on it.
I appreciate all your comments. :thumb:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
steamhead said:
Wayne, in one of many posts of your great railroad, I noted that that bridge was the only thing our layouts have in common...

But you were wrong! :D Looks to me like we're both havin' a great time creating our own little railroading empires, and we're both havin' fun sharing our work with others. :thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
The weathering was done with an air brush, which looked quite good on the bench...but on the layout it's barely noticeable.
Doesn't that stink?!:curse: You get a project looking really nice and:
1. it doesn't look as nice in place (different lighting, or in my case(s)...poor planning:eek:ops: )
or
2. No matter what you do, you can't get it to look as good in a picture:cry:
Anyway...that has been my problem

However, I think in this case Your bridge looks great! It is a beautiful addition to your layout:thumb: and after seeing how well yours turned out, I wish I had a spot for one.

Gus, I also like the way the bridge is placed in relation to the track crossing underneath. It is a subtle thing, but not having them cross at a right angle or a "T" makes it all the more pleasing to the eye and more realistic. It gives it a nice flow. Outstanding work:thumb:
just my 2 cents

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I agree with the others, it looks really great. And that's a big ole beastie of a steamer moving across there.

But I must step on the soapbox for my personal crusade to provide proper footings for all bridges out there.

announce1 GIT THAT BRIDGE SOME SHOES!!!!

I'm not actually affiliated with the prototype police formally, but I do feel that modeling fun can truly be enhanced with those little touches of realism that folks may not notice or recognize, but will 'feel' that something is or isn't 'right'. It just has that look to it. Bridge shoes are one of those touches. Also like footings under a trestle bent...but that's another rant, although related.

Your excellent bridge does have a great look to it, and in fact, I'd love to see a picture from a bit further back showing it's placement in the overall scene. But I still think it needs bridge shoes on a concrete base. Just my opinion...not a heavy criticism in any way.:) Please keep sharing your progress.:thumb:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi Galen...Thanks for the kind words. The bridge does have shoes, they're just a little hard to see..!! :D
Guess I'll have to do some touch-ups to the scene, including putting in the guard rails.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Gus, beautiful bridge and great scene :thumb: :thumb: . I really admire your rock work. Looking forward to see that scene finished :wave: .